Water Tight Bulk Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wipper

Apr 10, 2009
Hey guys, This may sound dumb but can anyone explain like how the watertight bulkheads worked, what went wrong and just anything you know? Thanks so much!

Dec 28, 2006
Hi Mike,
Perhaps if your questions were more detailed, would be of help.
Are you asking, construction, purpose, measurements, door operation, heights varied etc.
>>What went wrong ?<<
Wrong with what, the bulkheads, the doors, the ship ?
>> And anything you know ?<<
There are members within this Forum who could write a book on any of the above sections.
I am sure you would get a response to a direct question.
I thank all who provide valid information. GORDON

Mike Wipper

Apr 10, 2009
Hey guys!

So I have a question about how the Water Tight Bulk Heads work?

I never understood how they would keep the ship afloat but now I think I get it...

The compartments extended above the water line right?

Now if X amount of the compartments flooded the ship would still be buoyant enough to float... The water would rush in until it got to the water line, and then it would stop?

But if more than the max needed to stay afloat were compromised then it would cause the ship to dip down below the water therefore causing a loss in buoyancy and then the water would keep rushing in and spilling over?

Is that how they work?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is that how they work?<<

That's the general idea. What watertight bulkheads do is to confine flooding to a given area of the ship so that she will either remain afloat or survive long enough for rescue vessels to arrive.

The catch is that if more watertight sections are compromised then what the ship can survive, the sheer mass of the water ingress along with the loss of stability will be enough to send her plummeting to the bottom.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I more just asking if that's how they work?<<

Think of a dam in the river. The barrier has no openings in it through which water may pass save for those doors which can...if need be...closed to stop the spread of flooding. The difference is that the barrier is made of iron or steel instead of concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.