Watertight doors

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Sorry for bringing my article (https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/an-analysis-of-titanics-vertical-and-lateral-watertight-doors-20167.html) up yet again (I know, get over it already... lol) but I believe that this head room was built in to allow room for the cataract and door on bulkhead D, the one at the end of the fireman's tunnel. Nothing else seems to apply for the reasoning behind this space built. More proof of my appendix....? I've included original plan pic and Bruce Beveridge plan pic.

wtd 1.png
wtd2.png

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
And that it does, thank you good sir, I honestly never saw that before! Well, though I'm obviously blind, :confused: at least my assumption was correct....
Thanks again!

Mykwin

Oct 19, 2017
These seem to be pictures of two different doors, Brad.

Both operated in the same way, i.e an electrically operated rack and pinion gear raises and lowers the door. This can be seen in the first two photographs but is hidden by a safety cover in the second two photographs.

The horizontal rod was in fact a drive shaft riven by an electric motor. Incorporated in the center of that rod was a toothed gear wheel which meshed with the vertical rack gear you see running up the center of each door.
Apart from the drive motor location - on the left in Pics 1 & 2 and on the right in pics 3 & 4, the difference in each door is the method of controlling the rate of descent. This was done using a sort of pneumatic weight -absorber consisting of a rod connected at one end to the top of the door and the other end within a piston in a cylinder.
In your photographs, No. 1 has two such weight absorbers with two piston rods connected immediately each side of the vertical rack gear. No. 2 has only one such piston rod connected directly to the top of the rack gear.

Hope I got that right.

As far as I know the only electrical component in the door mechanism shown, was a solenoid (Electromagnet) that lifted the operating rod. No motors

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
I found an error in my post (#15) that I feel is important to address. In the stated post I purpose that the door seen in the picture is the door on bulkhead K. Due to the fact that all the doors were orientated on the starboard side of the ship, this door is in the wrong position (unless the negative had been flipped, which is possible, but unlikely). This photo must be looking aft, to have the door on the starboard side. Therefore, as others have stated and believed (which is what led me to rethink my position) this door is most likely (99.9%) the door on bulkhead L. With that said, it does nothing to contradict my beliefs of the doors from bulkhead K-D.

upload_2017-11-15_7-18-42.jpg