Ways that couldbve made the movie funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2005
The 1997 Titanic is a romance movie. But have you ever thought of ways to make the movie funnier than what we have now?

Yours Trully,
Miguel Alfonso De Guzman

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's a tad difficult to make the violent deaths of close to 1500 people funny if you want tp produce something that's somewhat true to the actual history. Having said that much, if you watch the movie, you'll see that it does have it's moments. Rose's crack to Ismay about Frued's opinion on the masculine preoccupation with size "...That might be of interest to you." was a hoot!

May 3, 2005
>>Rose's crack to Ismay about Frued's opinion on the masculine preoccupation with size "...That might be of interest to you." was a hoot!<<

I think Ismay's remark was also a hoot:
"Freud ? Who is he ? A passenger ?"

May 3, 2005
Also my little tag line about Jack's reply to Ruth Dewitt-Bukater's question as to "...and how do you find the steerage accommodations ? " rates a hoot, too. :)

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
The scene where Jack is showing Rose how to spit with Ruth etc approaching them solicited a laugh from everyone in the movie theatre too. Leonardo's ad-lib quip about having to "go row with the other slaves" is a touch of humour too

S

sharon rutman

I wish in the 2005 dvd Titanic-polooza Cameron had included the bloopers and outtakes! He let only one slip in intentionally--the scene where Jack told Rose to "lie down on the bed--er--the couch." I heard that was to have been deleted but it stayed.

Oh, holy censorship--I heard there's a company out in Utah somewhere that airbrushes out "offensive" scenes from popular movies. So if you're squeamish about seeing Kate Winslet's boobs, this company will get rid of them for you.

Feb 24, 2004
Yes, Sharon, and the practice has sparked quite a debate, as you can imagine. Myself, I find my remote works just fine.

Roy

S

sharon rutman

Yeah, but it's a little unfair to just go chopping and slicing up popular films at will. Kate certainly didn't mind exposing the naked truth and in the scene that followed, Brock, her granddaughter, Lewis Bodine and the rest of the crew are left drooling after her explicit commentary.

Feb 24, 2004
>>"...and how do you find the steerage accommodations?"

>>"The best I've seen, ma'am....Hardly any rats."

Seated next to Jack, two on either side of him, are four animated rats from steerage (courtesy of Pixar), wearing lobster bibs, holding knives and forks in either paw, and hungrily demanding luncheon service by pounding noisily on the table.

Feb 24, 2004
"...and here I am, on the finest ship in the world, having dinner with you good people."

...As the conversation continues, Jack reaches inside his shirt and scratches a flea bite with great satisfaction. Within moments, Molly Brown reaches down and starts scratching her midriff. Soon, Ismay, Andrews and Col. Gracie are scratching themselves as well.

"...To making it count."

ALL raise their glasses in their right hands, while they continue scratching themselves lustily with their left.
JACK (to ROSE): "You want to go to a real party?"

ROSE (scratching herself with both hands): "Uhm... Jack, ya know, I think I'll just pass for now."

Feb 24, 2004
>>Yeah, but it's a little unfair to just go chopping and slicing up popular films at will.

Sharon, I agree. People should take responsibility for their own choices, including whether or not they should even be watching a certain film. You never know what someone else is going to censor "for your own good" - or what their motivations are for doing so. Bowdlerized Shakespeare, anyone?

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Hi, Roy and Sharon--

I won't defend the practice of "editing" movies for rental or resale, but if I've legally purchased a film and for whatever reason would prefer not to have to sit through certain parts--what's the difference between 1) fast-forwarding through those parts and 2) cropping my copy (or having someone else do it for me) so I don't have to fumble for the remote each time an "undesirable" scene comes up? (I know, how lazy can I get, right?
wink.gif
)

Going further: I've heard on another thread some people who have gotten the 3-disc DVD release openly talk about how they've spliced the "deleted scenes" back into their proper places within the movie. If we're really just concerned about "copyright" or "creative freedom" or whatever, shouldn't we also be condemning this behavior?

Just a few random thoughts . . .

--Jim

Feb 24, 2004
>>If we're really just concerned about "copyright" or "creative freedom" or whatever, shouldn't we also be condemning this behavior?

Only if they try to make money off it by selling it - unless the courts rule differently on purchasers' rights.

An interesting case is the old Criterion Collection laserdisc of "Close Encounters." The movie took up, if I remember, six to eight CAV sides. At the end of each side were the deleted scenes from that section of the movie. Criterion provided instructions for programming your player to insert them in their proper places - or, conceivably, in any order or combination you wished - even deleting existing scenes. What's more, laserdiscs were recordable directly onto videotape, so theoretically, you could edit your own "special edition" of Close Encounters and watch it over and over via the tape. Don't let Columbia Pictures catch you trying to sell copies, however.

BTW, I'm *not* an attorney and there are too many nationalities represented on this board for any single *opinion* to be definitive.

Roy

S

sharon rutman

There's lots of funny lines scattered in the movie--but Rose's Mom is the hands down winner of unintentionally funny quotations. Remember "Will the lifeboats be seated according to class." How about her instructions to Trudy that she'll need a cup of tea when she returns to the ship. So there were humorous bits scattered throughout the film.

J

Jon Meadows

My favorite...while extremely dark...is the cut scene where Molly Brown is at a table (I believe in the Palm Court) and yells to a waiter to bring some ice for her drink...as the wall of ice is passing behind her.

S

sharon rutman

How about Rose making risque jokes about Freud and "size" to Ismay? Ismay responds: Freud. Who's he? Is he a passenger.

S

sharon rutman

Try getting a hold of Thumbtanic on vhs or dvd. Now that's funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.