We have a snoop amongst us here on the Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2001
We have a snoop living amongst us here on the Board. Yes we do, I am sorry to inform. May I strongly suggest you all get yourselves a firewall for your computers to protect not only your personal research material, but your private lives (credit cards, etc.) as well. I found this information out by a software program and her name was traced to being a Board Member here. Good luck my friends.

Yours,

Teri

D

Deleted member 173198

Teri, If this Board has a snoop who feels they have a right playing God by prying into our own private lifes, then I would strongly recommend that you to bring this serious matter with the evidence you withhold, to Philip Hind's attention without fail.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Dec 13, 1999
Lord help anyone prying into Hind's private life!
Probably make a fortune selling the story to the Sunday papers!
Seriously though, I've heard the same, also that a device is on sale which enables someone to read other peoples emails from their in-box.

Geoff

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
This kind of vague scaremongering is totally inappropriate. If you have specific allegations to make make them to me in private.

Apr 7, 2001
Dearest Geoff, Michael & Andrew,

I never would have believed anyone would hack my machine until I installed firewall software and once I did, I was astounded to see how many times in one day my machine got pinged, attempted and interrupted. By making this posting, I merely wished to warn and inform the friendly Board Members here, nothing else. I do not wish to stir anything up or mention any names, here on this Board. If Phil Hind wishes to have the information I have, he can email me privately, otherwise, as I said, I am merely informing those gullible people out there like myself who wishes to think no one is interested in their life. If anyone chooses not to install protective software on their machines, god be with them.

I cannot possibly believe people would hold the viewpoint of "vague scaremongering" if this was happening to them.

And I do think this topic relevant, for many people in the Titanic world have information on their computers they do not wish others to view.

Very Sincerely,

Teri

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Geoff

**Seriously though, I've heard the same**

I was told by several people who are users of the message boards that it is a frequent occurrence. I had my old machine hacked and now I am a lot more security conscious.

**also that a device is on sale which enables someone to read other peoples emails from their in-box.**

I have no doubt there is a devise for this but in reality you do not need a devise. I can direct you to four sites on the net that have a programme for hacking in boxes. The download takes around 2 minuets and to hack a in-box takes about the same depending on connection speed and information in the in-box. .

There is simple ways you can detect this happening and also even simpler ways to stop it happening. common sense is also a good remedy.

Phil
**This kind of vague scaremongering is totally inappropriate**

I am not so sure it is so much as scaremongering as a warning. How many people do you know who are totally oblivious to the word hack let alone what one is or does.

And I also share Teri's view that it is appropriate to post to a board on such matters.

In the long run it affects us all not just one person.

It is not just your research material that is at danger hear.

Regards
Graham

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
First of all this is not an Internet security forum.

Secondly Teri's post was vague and misleading however well intentioned.

I do not dispute the fact that while online your machine may be pinged by automated systems, frankly it happens all the time. Only in some instances are these pings malicious e.g. when it is trying to detect if you have negligently activated a trojan on your machine. Obviously no one should venture online without some form of Firewall.

I found this information out by a software program and her name was traced to being a Board Member here.

The implication in Teri's post is that this activity is somehow linked to this board or some individual on it. I would like to know what the evidence is for this.

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Phil

**First of all this is not an Internet security forum.**

I appreciate this and while I agree I feel that issues such as this should be aired, I seem to remember not so long ago a large thread active about viruses, Would this not fall under the same category ?

**Secondly Teri's post was vague and misleading however well intentioned.**

I am sure Teri's post was not a malice post. And feel it was posted with all good intensions on a matter which affects us all.

**I do not dispute the fact that while online your machine may be pinged by automated systems**

I agree

**frankly it happens all the time. Only in some instances are these pings malicious e.g. when it is trying to detect if you have negligently activated a trojan on your machine. **

Correct going back to the issue of virus which was discussed at length. It affected many members and as so I feel it is relevant to the whole group. to know that this type of thing can happen.

**Obviously no one should venture online without some form of Firewall.**

Sound advice and again is this not why it should be aired on the board.

**The implication in Teri's post is that this activity is
somehow linked to this board or some individual on it. I
would like to know what the evidence is for this.**

I am sure Teri was mainly pointing out a fact hear, With all the members there is on this board there has to be a few bad apples in the cart. One would like to think not but I suspect it is unreasonable to believe this.

Regards
Graham

May 8, 2001
Oh yes!! Whoever "she" is, "she" must be stopped. Big Daddy Phil wont tolerate, riff-raff or hackers.......

Blasted... I knew that Kathleen McNulty was up to no good........

Colleen

Apr 7, 2001
Phil,

If you wish me to email you the details, please send me a private email. This information is not to be disclosed publicly for as I stated earlier I do not wish to stir anything up, I merely had it in mind to inform the public of what happened to me and hope that they will take measures to protect their own machines. And to be sure, this is really a matter between myself and the offender, no one else.

Sincerely,

Teri Milch

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Teri,

There is a virus that is very rampant right now on the east coast, called the 'kak'. It's similar to hybris and others, but this 'kak' virus invades microsoft Inboxes and IE programs. It was designed to.

This virus will send nonsensical emails with a viral strand attached. It sends to email addresses the user has in their Inbox and Address book, and it also sends to addresses received through IE5. This is an ugly virus, and wasn't known until late January. Our school computer server was "delivered" this cute thing. Within two days, every teacher attached to the server received 8 - 10 emails from teachers infected, even though the actual teachers themselves never even opened inbox.

Our principal unknowingly sent emails to twelve other principals on a state-wide committee with him, and their systems became infected.

My point, though I'm quite long at making it, is there may be a different solution than the one you've come up with. You said in your last post that it's a private matter, not a public one. I suggest next time, go straight to Phil with a private email only, and the public won't ask so many questions.

I'm glad your firewall provides you with that level of security in either case,

Bill

Apr 7, 2001
Hello Bill,

Thank you for the warning on the virus.

I do not mind the public posting questions, and if anyone is interested in the name of the offending person, they can email me privately.

At his request, Phil Hind was given the details by private email.

Teri

Sep 12, 2000
"We have a snoop amongst us here on the Board"

Sorry, I have been away and am sorry to see this.

Phil Hind is a great man. And I know through experience that he is ultimately fair and just and his level of integrity is impecible. If there is ever a problem between members, I highly recommend that the issue be taken to him privately first.

Posting something about a generic virus warning is one thing, but if I as a person stated specifically that some one individual had written and purposefully infected the entire board, that would be a whole other kettle of fish. I agree with Phil that it is inappropriate.

Warning is one thing, but making blatant accustations in a public forum is quite another. It would be like me saying, hey guys there is a virus out there and I have reason to believe that so and so wrote it and is infecting the board with it. So and so may have sent it to me, but they also may have been a victim as well.

There are all kinds of ways that "hackers" get into systems and they can use others systems to do the dirty work for them.

A little less than three years ago I worked towards gaining evidence to convict someone in a cyber crime. You would be surprised at the things that I learned. But the one thing that I know is that if you feel that someone is using an international web-based server to commit cyber crime, contact the webmaster and if you are a US citizen contact your local FBI, if you feel that your identity may have been hacked.

How many times have you had someone over to your home or your children have invited them over? Did they use your computer? Those people could use your computer device and it look like you did what they did. Hey maybe this has never happened to you, but it could have happened to whomever it is that you are accusing. I know that this can happen due to personal experience and I have a computer science degree from the University of Maryland and about 18 years in the field to include systems programming.

Yes, people need to protect themselves and to be quite honest anyone who accesses the web should have security on their computer anyway. But yours was not a kind warning to help us, it was a sort of hey I've been zapped by someone I thought was a friend type of statement. And what you need to know is that this person may have been a victim as well.

I do not know you Teri, if you are still out there at all. But all I know is this, there are what are fondly called rivet counters and then there are all the rest who know every passenger and crew memebr by name and probably by face. Rivet counters in my experience have very little patience with emotional involvement regarding research and the passenger crew people simply look at the rivet people with disgust trying to find the reason for anything that they do and in turn the rivet people see no logic to letting emotions guide.

A computer person who feels like they were Bruce Ismay is in flux as they are technical and have nothing in common with the crew/passenger people, but the rivet counters have no time or patience to take you seriously and you do not really show respect to the emotional crew/passenger people. Very few crosscutting process people make it oon this board. Inger does very well as she is a genius and anal about her facts, rivet counters love that. But she is in there with the best when it comes to crew/passenger people so they love her as well. But one needs to be here for quite some time to be accepted in both worlds and it does not happen with empty flattery.

If you wish to gain friendships here, earn it. Do a complete paper on something Titanic that is not Bruce Ismay related and has a technical flair to it. And people will begin to take you seriously.

Look, I have a very good friend who will hate me now for saying this but I will use no names. This person is an ET member and loves animals. My friend saved a little rat from certain death and has claimed this little furry friend as a pet. My friend is vegetarian. But I never see my friend post arguments for the rats aboard titanic or for their inhumane treatment, even though that would not be a bad article. It is just that my friend is a serious poster and wishes to be taken as a serious poster. But if my friend ever did write something about the rats aboard Titanic (I know that Pat Cook is waiting in the wings to post as I write this)although I know it would be well written, there will be people who will have their critiques (and Cook will write a new play!).

Last year, I do not even remember what the issue was, but I had a run in with another person here on the board. Both of us were invited to an event for ST Patricks Day in South Carolina and I nearly cancelled going because the person was going to be there. Phil Hind and Phil Gowan spoke to me at length to encourage me to go. They said that onnce I met the person, I would love that person. So I went. And I met the person and we even sat at the same table. And you know what, that person was the greatest person in the world. And I am so sad that I had reacted towards that person without really knowing that person.

The point is, the written word is always able to be interpreted many ways. And just becuase it looks like what you think does not make it that way.

I have read through some other threads here and this has been quite a mess. But Teri, look long and hard at the folks.

Four people on this board that I really have come to respect are Philip, Phillip, Inger and Randy. I noted that Inger posted some words. Teri, I have brought Inger to post some pretty acute statements towards me on this board, but you know what, she was right. I tried so hard at times that my efforts ended up being meaningless and Inger stated it that way. But she was right and I have worked on that aspect of myself. Inger has no idea in the world, but her words have changed me.

I have no desire to take this offline nor any desire to continue this or to know anything about anyone online or offline. I find this all very divisive and I merely wished to pass on some sage advice from someone who passed Fingerpointing 101 with honors and regrets it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.