Webley 455 No 1 Mark VI pistol question

Nov 30, 2000
Were the Webley .455 No. 1 Mark VI pistols broken out and distributed amongst the senior officers single-action or double-action types?
Anyone know? I'm writing an article about wether or not a suicide took place at Collapsible A so I am wallowing in MANY tinny details here.
Thanks a bunch!

Richard K.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The Webley revolver was a poor choice for use in the kind of situation which developed on Titanic. It was a very powerful weapon and very difficult to use with any degree of accuracy without proper training and a lot of experience. For people like the officers on Titanic, who had probably never handled one before, the extreme kick of its recoil would be unexpected and it would have fired wild, so it was best suited to its main and possibly its only use on that night - firing into the air.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You may be right, but I wouldn't get too comfortable with the idea that they had no experience with these weapons. This was an age with some very different attitudes towards firearms.

Still, I agree that to use one of these guns effectively, it would have taken a high degree of training that Merchent Marine officers wouldn't nesseccerily have time for.

Bryan Ciobanu

Apr 22, 2005
Are you sure it was a Webley .455 Mark VI?

I have read that they were not made until 1915

I might be wrong of course...

Regards
Bryan

colin lindsly

Jul 25, 2005
The pistol would be the Mark IV, not the Mark VI. The former model was used between 1889 and 1912. 1913 saw the first Mark Vs. (Did research through the links provided on Wikipedia.org.)