Welcome to the New Message Board

A

Andrew Williams

Time to give notice of my departure. As oppose to you Mark Barber, you call yourself a Moderator, your more of a coward.

I shall remind you this message board operates out of the U.K., with the priveges of feedom of speech which we the British treasure deadly, and above all we are never frightened of telling the opposition straight of what we think of you. "To kind" It seems to me that some people fear of quoting the wrong word and making themselves out of order and getting their knuckles wrapped. Tuff, I am never fearful, and I am damned if I am going to accept that pathetic prat (Yes pathetic prat called John Jaeger) the right and opportunity of using his own personal slurs upon us all. I would have thought some hard lesson were learnt from the episode of 2004, obviously not. Its still the same old network which I am not perpared to function under anymore. Count me out.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I would like at this point to deliver a hearty thank you to Mark for his sterling service to this forum over many years and hopefully for many more to come. His interventions are delivered with wisdom, honesty and infinite patience - and always in a gentlemanly fashion.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
As a moderator on another forum I can well testify to the trials and tribulations faced by the holder of such a position.

I concur with Bob's post above. @Mark Baber does a sterling job.

The old maxim of attack the post and not the poster should always apply.

Mar 12, 2011
Just wanted to chime in to concur with Rob and Bob. There's been an unusual amount of Ill-informed vitriol on this forum lately and Mark has handled it with his usual cool head. Hats off to you, sir.

May 3, 2005
I've been following this website for some time but not as long as the "pro's" and picked up a lot of interesting information I never knew.
Thanks to all concerned.
With all the disagreement I haven't seen anyone being banned because they disagree with the moderator as they do on another website.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
One of the things I have found interesting is - maybe it is just true in the United States Navy - if you were in a "specialty rating" how little you knew of "seamanship" as seen in the postings of the moderators and others whom I consider "the real sailors" on these forums. Thanks !

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>One of the things I have found interesting is - maybe it is just true in the United States Navy - if you were in a "specialty rating" how little you knew of "seamanship" as seen in the postings of the moderators and others whom I consider "the real sailors" on these forums. Thanks !<<

You would be right. What I was trained for as a ships serviceman (A supply rating) had nothing to do with seamanship. What I learned, I went out of my way to pick up on my own as it was a matter of considerable interest to me.

Reactions: Steven Christian
May 3, 2005
>>One of the things I have found interesting is - maybe it is just true in the United States Navy - if you were in a "specialty rating" how little you knew of "seamanship" as seen in the postings of the moderators and others whom I consider "the real sailors" on these forums. Thanks !<<

You would be right. What I was trained for as a ships serviceman (A supply rating) had nothing to do with seamanship. What I learned, I went out of my way to pick up on my own as it was a matter of considerable interest to me.
That is my point. I have picked up more information on seamanship in the short time I have been on this website than I did in my 4 years in the navy.About the only application in the navy was knowing that for the particular surface search radar , the maximum range was the distance to the horizon and how to estimate it according to the height of the antenna.

Keith_Baxter

Apr 29, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
... I don't seem to have received the usually weekly Titanica message board recently - last one was 3rd March...
I had been getting an email once a week (always on Saturday mornings), and it also stopped a few weeks ago, I would guess probably at the same time. I had changed nothing.
I'm not if sure if this is the problem, but I know that Gmail, and perhaps others, some time ago began blocking any automated emails that are sent by third party senders. These emails simply do not reach the intended recipient at all, not even in their "Spam" or "Junk Email" folder.

Nov 14, 2005
A testament to the quality of this site. Almost all the sites I used to go to back in the 90's have long since gone away. Good job ET!

Nov 14, 2005

That is so true. Except for basic seamanship we got in bootcamp. I was in aviation so except for the basic nominclature of ships we didnt know much at all on how the ship operated...it was just a floating airbase to us. I don't know how the US Navy works today but one thing we all in common was every sailor was a firefighter. I went to 4 different firefighting schools, one was general shipboard firefighting, 2 aircraft firefighting and then weapons magazine firefighting (which was basically flood the space and run like hell).

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
The message board software will be upgraded in the next few days so please expect some downtime and something of a new look!