Welcome to the New Message Board

Nov 14, 2005
>>One of the things I have found interesting is - maybe it is just true in the United States Navy - if you were in a "specialty rating" how little you knew of "seamanship" as seen in the postings of the moderators and others whom I consider "the real sailors" on these forums. Thanks !<<

You would be right. What I was trained for as a ships serviceman (A supply rating) had nothing to do with seamanship. What I learned, I went out of my way to pick up on my own as it was a matter of considerable interest to me.
That is so true. Except for basic seamanship we got in bootcamp. I was in aviation so except for the basic nominclature of ships we didnt know much at all on how the ship operated...it was just a floating airbase to us. I don't know how the US Navy works today but one thing we all in common was every sailor was a firefighter. I went to 4 different firefighting schools, one was general shipboard firefighting, 2 aircraft firefighting and then weapons magazine firefighting (which was basically flood the space and run like hell).

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
The message board software will be upgraded in the next few days so please expect some downtime and something of a new look!

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
What's with the new design? and what was the point of changing it? either way, its awful, this was the only site i was signed up to that didn't look like twitter, now it does.

Anyone else think the same as me? Bring back the old design!

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
It looks nice but I was hoping that the current sub-forum "Events during the sinking" would receive an upgrade to a main forum header. I feel that the subject is too interesting and important to be hidden way as a sub-forum.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I have only updated the software so far this is the default template
The first stage is done, hopefully everything still works. There is more to be done over the next few days.
New features you might like to play with

Add a cover image to your profile
More likes and reactions
Trending topics
Add an album to the media library
Add resources to the resources section.

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
I have only updated the software so far this is the default template
The first stage is done, hopefully everything still works. There is more to be done over the next few days.
New features you might like to play with

Add a cover image to your profile
More likes and reactions
Trending topics
Add an album to the media library
Add resources to the resources section.
The media library seems to be a nice feature, currently uploading some pictures, but i think there should be libraries for other ships and off-topic material

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Yes, something seems to be wrong in these two threads;

Messages seem to be out of order and the threads keep showing in a "New Posts" search even though I've seen all of the messages.

Last edited:

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hmm, I wonder what is going on, please let me know if the problem persists.
I am adding more style options you can change the setting in the style chooser at the foot of the page, there is currently the option of the new style and the default style, I will add others for those that prefer a different look.
More changes coming!