Welcome to the New Message Board

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Some years ago we relaxed the real name rule but we are bringing it back.

I feel that in trying to create a community where we can trust as well as get to know each other pseudonyms are proving to be a major block. They also serve to embolden a small minority to post with, less restraint than they otherwise might.

Therefore, if you are not already doing so please post using your real name from now on. You can amend your profile here.

I realise there may be some circumstances where a real name is genuinely not appropriate and in those please message me directly and we can consider an exception.

Reactions: 5 users

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I can't believe people had the internet before 1999 and posting on forums such as this site. We got our first pc and internet in the year 2000 so we missed the old dail up connection, thank God for that, stories that we heard from people having dail up connection. I didn't even know how to get an email account until 2008. Feel like I was left out since everyone was connecting with each other around the world before 1999. I. kind of feel like officer Lowe abit. Lol.

Nov 14, 2005
Well you didn't really miss much. 1993-2000 is often called the wild west of the internet. I always called it the time of the "Flame Wars". The internet was a lot smaller and slower then. But it was a new novelty for most people. Now if you were born in the last 25 years its integrated in everything you do. Some say thats good...I'm not so sure.

Nov 14, 2005
When did you have the internet?
Mid 80's. But it wasn't really the internet then. Mostly just bulletin boards and usenet groups. There was no WWW back then. Ran on Commodores and Amigas with 9.6 or 14.4K modems (forget which now). My first computer had no hard drive. All programs ran from 5.25" floppys. To put it in perspective when the movie Titanic came out in 1997 most people were running a 33K modem. Most ISP's couldn't even connect to a 56K modem then. Today almost seems unbelievable to me...with down speeds available in the gigabyte range. When 5G gets up and running its going to change pretty much everything. At least in the bigger cities everything will be done over the air. There wont be a need for satellite or cable modems anymore. Pretty much everything will just go thru your smartphone which will be a hotspot for your home. And many outlying areas your smartphone will just connect to sats directly.

Last edited:

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
Mid 80's. But it wasn't really the internet then. Mostly just bulletin boards and usenet groups. There was no WWW back then. Ran on Commodores and Amigas with 9.6 or 14.4K modems (forget which now). My first computer had no hard drive. All programs ran from 5.25" floppys. To put it in perspective when the movie Titanic came out in 1997 most people were running a 33K modem. Most ISP's couldn't even connect to a 56K modem then. Today almost seems unbelievable to me...with down speeds available in the gigabyte range. When 5G gets up and running its going to change pretty much everything. At least in the bigger cities everything will be done over the air. There wont be a need for satellite or cable modems anymore. Pretty much everything will just go thru your smartphone which will be a hotspot for your home. And many outlying areas your smartphone will just connect to sats directly.
You see I wouldn't have a clue what 33 modem is lol. I do everything on my phone. The only time I touch a pc is at work.

I See you've been here since 2005. Wow long time ago.

Nov 14, 2005
You see I wouldn't have a clue what 33 modem is lol. I do everything on my phone. The only time I touch a pc is at work.

I See you've been here since 2005. Wow long time ago.
Well to put it in perspective for you..today I have a 100MB modem. Thats 3000 times faster than the 33kb modem I had in 1997. But even though it was 33kb the actual download rate was about 20-25K. In other words you would click to download a 1 min long video file, get up go get a cup of coffee and some chips let the dog out and go back and see if it was done. Today I can stream 3 different HD movies to 3 different tv's with no buffering. That was science fiction back in 1997.
"I See you've been here since 2005. Wow long time ago." At my age now that seems like yesterday to me.

Last edited: