Welome To The Titanic Tech Thread

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
David, Erik, this is the private thread that Erik asked for where we can discuss tech matters and research we don't want to kick over publicly on the board as a whole. At the moment, it's just the three of us who have access to this. I would appriciate it if the two of you could let me know who else to grant access.

I would take Samuel Halpern, Parks Stepehenson and Bill Wormstedt as a given but haven't added them in yet. (Don't want to jump the gun here.)

Just as an aside, Phil Hind is hoping that anyone involved with our little gang will put together tech oriented articles for publication on ET.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Per the request by David Brown, the following users were added to the group:

Charlie Weeks
Dave Gittens
Timothy Foecke
Ken Marschall

Bob Williams and Roy Mengot are not at this moment members of this forum. If somebody can get a hold of them and get them to sign on, I'll add them to the users list.

Should I also add Parks, Samuel and Bill as I asked above?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I didn't think it would be, so I'll add them in. Erik dropped me a line to let me know to include the people who will be attending the Toledo event in September.

Any idea what the story is on Roy Mengot and Bob Williams?

Feb 7, 2005
I'm honored to be included among such an illustrious group! You have my sincere thanks.

One person who is not on the '06 Toledo list (yet) is Rob Ottmers. I assume he's coming in September but just hasn't confirmed it yet. There are probably others who've attended the various "Titanic In..." meetings over the past few years that you may want to include as well. Just thought I'd toss that out for your consideration since you're looking for people who might be interested in participating in this thread.

Once again, many thanks guys!!

Denise Hunyadi

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I went ahead and posted an e-mail to Roy Mengot and Bob Williams as Dave asked in the hopes that they'll sign on. At the present time, they are not registered members of Encyclopedia Titanica so that makes arranging their permissions a tad difficult.

I hope for a positive response from them both so we can get things going in here.

Denise, since Erik wanted those who will be attending the gathering to be a part of this, if you can get confirmantion that Rob will be attending, let me know about it so I can set up the permissions.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Just to let everyone know, Bob Williams signed on with ET and I've added his name to this group as per David Brown's request. I haven't heard back from Roy Mengot as yet. Does anybody know what the story is with him?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Okay....he does get around a bit so he may not have even seen my e-mail. I hope he'll be willing to get on board with the rest of us. Once everything is finalized, we should be able to get started with whatever it is that Captains Dave and Erik had in mind.

In fact, one of them may want to get the ball rolling by starting the appropriate discussion thread. (Hint...hint.
wink.gif
)

Dec 4, 2000
To kick things off, I would like to discuss the 2005 History Channel expedition with regard to the two pieces of double bottom. However, before going there I think we need to have some perspective on the whole subject of the sinking.

That is, I think we should first look at what should have taken place before trying to analyse the double bottom findings.

To my mind, the best and most concise explanation of the traditional version of the sinking was written almost a decade ago by Roy Mengot. It is one of my standard references. You can find it at: http://home.flash.net/~rfm/BREAKUP/Breakup.html

It will be a week or so before I can make my first posting on the 2005 findings. In the meantime, I respectfully request that everyone take time to look up Roy's paper and study it. This way, we can all come to the discussion with the same background information.

Mark Chirnside's TRMA paper on the expansion joints is also good background material. Look for it at http://titanic-model.com/articles/markchirnside3/index.shtml

-- David G. Brown

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For the record, Roy registered with ET today and I've set up his permissions for access to this group.

I suspect that Roy may be making a few revisions to his website based on some of the findings of that History Channel expedition depending on whether or not he has cause to agree with them. Whether he does or not, you can all be certain that anything he has to say on the matter will be well reasoned and thoughtout.