Were any lifeboats launched

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
I'm just wondering if there were any lifeboats launched from the Wilhelm Gustloff as it was sinking or if it sank so quickly that there was just no time to do so. Also how long did it take for the Wilhelm Gustloff to sink? If anyone knows the answer to these question could someone please, tell me? Thanks!

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Zachary,
the gustloff was prepared for sea in difficult circstances and many of her boat had been requisitioned for other duties. some were retrieved and and the missing numbers made up with liferafts and naval cutters stowed up on the sun deck. Many of these were cut loose and were sucessful in saving life. All boats on the starboard side remained with the ship but the port boats were launched except one or two which upended. one was destroyed by the AA gun falling over the side.

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
Thanks for the information, Martin! I actually have a program sheet from one of the Wilhelm Gustloff's cruises that it took before World War II. It's dated June 24, 1939. I'm having some trouble translating it into English since it's all in German. Thanks, again!