Were there any crimes recorded

Evelyn Audrey

Apr 27, 2006
Was there any crimes recorded aboard the Titanic? Robberies or assault? I cannot imagine that nothing interesting happened on a ship with so many people! Would they have kept record of such a thing?

May 1, 2004
There were no doubt crimes committed. The professional gambler like Mr. Yates (or whatever his name was) may have been cheating his marks. There may have been pickpockets or room riflers aboard. Perhaps a little immorality between consenting adults. What we know of them come from survivor stories and research written by Titanic researchers like those on this list.

Mr. Navartil was 'stealing' his children from his wife, using Titanic as a getaway ship. We know that because their distraught mother read about the two 'Titanic orphans' after the sinking.

Records of thefts and assaults would have been kept in a logbook, and the logbooks were not recovered.

No mention by wireless of a fugitive on board, like Dr. Crippen on the Montrose, unless Marconi, the other wireless companies, and the police weren't telling the press.

Would the Captain and the White Star Line tell the passengers? No. They want the passengers to have enjoyable memories, so that they'd recommend White Star ships to their friends.

Not beyond a general notice that the Company was not responsible for loss. So, if you didn[t put your tiara in the purser's safe - too bad.

Of course, there is always gossip. "The couple in B36 ... Her tiara was stolen." "No! I thought he gave it to that woman in c24."

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Sneaky to pass himself off as dead, wasn't it?<<

Since he was on the lam in the first place, it also makes some sense. If you want to dodge an arrest warrant, convincing the authorities that you're dead is a nice way to do it. Unfortunately for Mr. Yates, it just didn't work.

A

Alyson Jones

I have heard that there were professional card players aboard, that protened to be average card players to fool the unspected vonuable average person to trick them into playing against them.
So they will grantine a win every single time and take all there money.I know it does not seem bad but it was back in 1912.
I heard about Titanic having signs up in the men's card era,warning of passengers of these professinal card players.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I have heard that there were professional card players aboard<<

It was a common problem on all the liners of the period. The lines did their best to keep them off to the point of sharing information on and blacklisting known cardsharps, but they managed to find ways around that, usually by traveling under assumed names.

A

Alyson Jones

So it is true, i was a little bit in doubtful cause i heard this ages ago.
Cardsharps must be there names for the sneaky men,i keep that in mind.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Cardsharps must be there names for the sneaky men,i keep that in mind.<<

That was the name which was printable or which wouldn't get you thrown out of a waterfront brothel because the sailors and the hookers would take offence at the language! In private conversations, you can bet that some of the names applied to said swindlers were a lot more blunt!

A

Alyson Jones

>>That was the name which was printable or which wouldn't get you thrown out of a waterfront brothel because the sailors and the hookers would take offence at the language!<<

If Cardsharps is a pleaseant name in pubilic in 1912,what names were classed as swear words in 1912.?

For example. Dis they use any of our swear words?

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The "gamblers" have been mentioned several times on this site, and there were various reports on the newspapers, including a report in the The Daily Chronicle’s which claimed that two American men, known as "Doc Owen" and "Kid Homer" were "playing with a third man when the crash came. Learning that there was no hope for the Titanic, they decided to try to get away in one of the boats. Those in authority, however, were allowing only women and children to go. Doc Owen therefore got hold of a steward who, it is alleged, had been paid to keep the identity of the gamblers secret during the voyage, and, giving him a roll of bank notes, got him to furnish women’s clothing and hats. Dressed in these clothes, the three men hurried to the deck and leaped into a lifeboat filled with women just as it was being lowered". It is interesting trying to identify these men from the 1st class passenger list!

A

Alyson Jones

I did not know about the Gamblers dressing in Women's clothes but i knew a lady shoved a hat on her 16 year old boy cause he was just little bit to old.That worked aswell.

Surly the officer's would of seen something wrong with these women.

>>The "gamblers" have been mentioned several times on this site must of really look like women to get passed the officers!<<

If you take notice that there's alot of repeats of answers in events of the Titanic. Every thing that can be mention about the Titanic has been mention about 10 times
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>what names were classed as swear words in 1912.? <<

Pretty much the same as what we use today, just with their own creative twists and variations.

>>Surly the officer's would of seen something wrong with these women.<<

That would assume that the incident mentioned in the press reports even occured. Since the media had no problems with making things up whole cloth, I wouldn't bet the beer money on anything they claimed.

A

Alyson Jones

>>Pretty much the same as what we use today, just with their own creative twists and variations<<
No way. Noway i meant the really bad swear words of today.

>>That would assume that the incident mentioned in the press reports even occured. Since the media had no problems with making things up whole cloth, I wouldn't bet the beer money on anything they claimed.<<

History is tough to learn.If half of the medias reports are wrong, that means most Titanic books are mostly wrong there fore most of the answer's are mostly all wrong?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If half of the medias reports are wrong, that means most Titanic books are mostly wrong there fore most of the answer's are mostly all wrong?<<

It's certainly possible. We discuss this problem all the time and it highlights the importance of using primary (First hand) source material. Even that could be wrong but at least you have it from whomever it came from and in it's full context.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Alyson, do remember that not all Edwardian men were gentlemen and not all Edwardian women were ladylike. Swearing, cussing, offensive language - call it what you will - has a very long history and we all find it useful from time to time (quite frequently in my case)! Just about all the 'bad language' you've ever heard was invented long before 1912, except of course for words and phrases which are purely modern slang - and the Edwardians could match those with equally offensive slang in their time.

Certainly all the familiar 'four letter words' were well known and well used. Not in polite conversation, of course, and in those days you didn't normally see this kind of language in print, but most people were familiar with it. The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) used the f-word in private letters to a lady friend, for instance. She objected - and not because she didn't know what it meant! I could post many examples of spoken expressions from police interviews, court proceedings etc, but as we don't want this website to get an x-rating you'll have to take my word for it. As always, there are other threads which discuss this in more detail. I know it's hard to find all this stuff in such a large forum - but no pain, no gain. This page is the best starting point for exploration:

Encyclopedia Titanica Message Board

A

Alyson Jones

>> I could post many examples of spoken expressions from police interviews, court proceedings etc, but as we don't want this website to get an x-rating you'll have to take my word for it<<
I'm so interested in this kind of subject.You could always P/M me the examples ,if you would like to. That's if you feel comfortable in doing so.
happy.gif

A

Alyson Jones

>>It's certainly possible. We discuss this problem all the time and it highlights the importance of using primary (First hand) source material. Even that could be wrong but at least you have it from whomever it came from and in it's full context.<<

That means no one really knows what happend that night.
Even you experts?