What area of the Andrea Doria have not been explored

Feb 14, 2011
Have divers explored all areas of the Andrea Doria wreck, or are there sections that have not been explored?
How about her stern?
Id be interested to see what sort of damage can be found in the stern- as she went down,the pressure blasted out a few portholes..perhps the interior of the stern is a battered ruin....
Is there one room that stands out as being in the best condition?
thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Im curious about that as well good question Tarn
happy.gif
But the way i see it with the strong currents she lays in that most of her interior would be full of a mud and also she has started collapsing in on herself,rending internal exploration limited.

Apr 11, 2001
TIS was privileged to have Gary Gentile as feature speaker last year in Groton. Gary has made more dives to the Doria than anyone, and told of the treacherous wreck she is and the perils of going into her interiors. He showed some of his amazing finds, including a great deal of jewelry from the Doria's gift shop. His book on the Doria is well worth having and details some of the areas he has explored and those which are dangerous. He has written many books on wreck-diving and has pioneered some diving techniques. Here is my favorite on the subject, it has wonderful photos as well.
http://www.scubadivingbooks.com/famousshipwrecks/0962145300.htm

Aug 31, 2004
A question-If the ship were to be explored all over, could there possibly be the bones of some of the crushed people, (i.e. the Theriots)?

Apr 27, 2005
Those lost on the "Doria" are no doubt little more than molecules of calcium flooding through the sea. The sea is calcium poor, and even in cold water like where Doria is sunk, the bones are long dissolved. Now, to be frank, grisly, and scientific, the putrified flesh was gone from the victims in probably three weeks. Bacterial action and that of scavengers would have cleaned it away in short order. In essence, this is the reality behind burial at sea.
Gary Gentile's book "Dive to an Era" is a great piece of diver journalism. He has made a living of what he does best, although I guess he is well known as being a bit "mercenary". I'd like to hear him speak, no matter what. In a tight dive, Gary is the man people want on their side.

As far as exploring the Doria is concerned, my guess would be that he deepest interiors, particularly into the electrical and machinery spaces, have probably not been searched. Her interiors have collapsed so severely that entrance would be tantamount to putting a gun in one's mouth. She is crumbled, dark, strewn with electrical cables and wires. Fascinating to pick apart, but deadly to access. Her cargo spaces might be amongst the most interesting places left to view.