What band played in 2nd class

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Same band that played in 1st Class. In some of the German liners the band played occasionally also in 3rd Class, but the WSL didn't stretch to that.

See Daniel Klisthorner's postings in this thread:

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
That was it? They were supposed to play only 2 hours a day? And maybe Sunday morning? Thanks by the way!

In total they played about 6 hours per day. (If my memory is right on Cunard Line ships the band played more hours.)
But they would also play music during a charitable concerts. Not sure what you mean with Sunday morning. If you mean for example the Divine service, only the piano was used in the 1st class Dining saloon.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I just cannot understand. You wrote this:

They played from about 8-9 p.m. in the 1st class reception room and from 9-10 p.m. in the 2nd class Entrance.
Then told me that you were talking about dinner time, and that they played 3 hours in the first class and 3 hours in the second.
So basically they played from 8-10 pm every day + other non-specified 4 hours, for a total of 6?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Sorry if I'm being dense, but I just cannot understand. You wrote this:

Then told me that you were talking about dinner time, and that they played 3 hours in the first class and 3 hours in the second.
So basically they played from 8-10 pm every day + other non-specified 4 hours, for a total of 6?

Ana,
in your first post which I reply to you wrote;

Play first during the first class' dinner then during the second?

As you wrote dinner, I though you were asking about during dinner time in the evening and gave you the information that the band did not play during dinner and that they played from 8-9 p.m. in the 1st class reception room and 9-10 p.m. in the 2nd class entrance. These were 2 hours they played each evening. The also played 2 hours about noon and 2 hours in the morning a total of 6 hours per day.
Hope that helps!

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks Bob, I'm guessing Krins was the Bandmaster, was the Cafe Francais and the A La Carte Restaurant the same?? i doubt they are it's just that there are testimonies about there being a band near the A La Carte restaurant but it says that these played in Cafe Francais
Thanks
Matteo :)

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Musicians here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the lead instrument for the trio's chamber music would have been the piano (played by Brailey). The Cafe Parisien (I assume that's what you mean) was adjacent to the restaurant and the music played in the reception area would have served for both.

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
Ah right, thought i may have read somewhere that there wasn't a piano there but don't quote me on that and i'll try and find where i read it, it probably was the Cafe Parisian, i looked on the Encyclopedia Titanica biography for Krins and it said Cafe Francais, ah right, that makes sense, any idea who the staff were for the Cafe Parisian??
Thanks Bob
Matteo :)