What became of Annie Caton

john caton

Jan 12, 2006
I believe that Annie Caton was my (step) great grandmother and would be interested if anyone has details of what happened to her upon reaching New York.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
John,
My colleague Brian Meister and I will be telling "Annie's Story" in a book we plan to publish in the near future. She lived a relatively long and interesting life and had a daughter very late in life. Her daughter is still living and has been very helpful to us in getting an accurate picture of Annie's life subsequent to Titanic. She remained at sea for a while (I have copies of her sign-on book with the entry for Titanic and other ships) but she and her husband later owned a small food business of their own. Only two photos of her exist to my knowledge (those are the only two her daughter has and has ever seen). I've had one of them (taken circa 1900) enlarged and framed and have it hanging on my "Titanic Wall" at home--she's leaning against a monument of some sort and wearing a fancy hat. Both photos will appear in our book. She was a widow for a number of years before succumbing to cancer.

Regards,
Phil Gowan

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Phil,

Do your pictures help with identifing her in the photo with the stewardesses taken in Plymouth after the sinking?

Andrew M

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Andrew,
No--unfortunately they don't. One of the two was taken in 1900 and so she was twelve years older when on Titanic. The second photo is with her sister and brother-in-law in their old age and that one is certainly not a clue. I've tried to look at the photo of the stewardesses carefully but just can't say.

Sorry-
Phil

Mond

Jul 11, 2013
I know its an older post but is there any aviable photo of annie? Is the book aviable now?