What brands of tobbacco were available on Titanic

Feb 14, 2011
Anyone know what brands of cigar,ciggarettes and/or pipe tobacco was available on Titanic?

As an occasional smoker of good Cuban stogies and as a pipe smoker, i have often asked my self this question.

I assume the favored cigars enjoyed in the 1st class Smoking Room were Cuban- were they complimentary, or would one purchase them from a steward, or from the smoking roiom bar? I wonder the cost?

I beleive officer Pitman was a pipe smoker, and his pipe may have been recovered from the wreck. Anyone know his favorite brand of tobbacco? (or the favored tobbacos of ther other officers)

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Certainly, Cuban cigars enjoyed a very good reputation which they still do today. Not entirely unjustified either if the two examples I've tried are any indication.

I doubt the cigars were complimentary, though I could be wrong.

Apr 22, 2012
Officer Pitman has been shown in an watercolor portrait smoking a pipe, which I think was done in the 1930's. I believe Captain Smith himself was a pipe smoker. In fact, I think this was discussed on a thread awhile back. Does anyone remember that?

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
In his testimony (U S, I believe) Pitman speaks of going out to check about the collision and then returning to his cabin and having a pipe.

Best holiday wishes,
Cook

Sep 2, 2009
To answer the question on the types of tobacco and cigarette on board the "Titanic" from the Notes for First Class Passengers on board the steamers of the White Star Line, October, 1911

Craven Tobacco Mixture in 1/4 tins 25 or 0'50c

Cut (Pioneer, Savory and Capstan) Tobacco 3s or 0'75c per lbs.

Egyptian Cigarettes, Fribourg & Treyer 1s or 0'25c per box.

Virginian Cigarettes Savory 2s or o'50c per tin

Three Castles, 1s or 0'25c per tin

Richmond Straight Cut 1s or 0'25c per box

Cigars:

Fernadez Garcia Vinecedores 1/- pr 0'25c each
Bock's Rothschild Eleganties 6d or 0.13c each
Jose Morales 6d or 0.13c each
Garcia Perlas Finas 4D or 0.08c each

In speaking with George Tulloch, a few years back about my employer he indicated that the products of the company that I was working for at the time were on board the "Titanic" as RMST had recovered cigar boxes and cigarette cards marked with "Culbro Tobacco" and "General Cigar Co, Inc." logo's and trademarks. The recovered items he indicated were the early versions of todays White Owl and Garcia Y Vega brands. However I never had a chance to flow up further with him on this.

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the detailed information Steve!!

One artifact we had at the exhibits was a pipe which still retained tobbacco...

intact ciggaretes were also recovered...

Im spending much of my stay here in Australia reseraching Titanic and smoking Cuban cigars..

Now I know the 'Titanic' brands i need to aquire....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 17, 2007
Hi. I'm new to your site, discovering it today by googling cigar and Titanic. I wrote on the topic of what cigars were on board in a Q&A column in the Antique Trader Weekly back in 1998. Perhaps I'm not understanding the answer posted by someone else, but General Cigar didn't exist, nor did White Owl, the year the Titanic went down. I don't believe Culbro did either, but that's off the top of my head. I'd be willing to post my much longer 98 speculation regarding this question for the edification and criticism of you folks who know more about the Titanic than I...but since I am unfamiliar with message boards, your site, chat rooms, etc., will need some assistance with procedures and protocol. I'm planning on adapting that early column answer to an upcoming column in one of the Cigar Magazines, so your member comments may prove useful. Also I'd love to obtain a publishable photo of the smoking lounge on the ship if such exists. Tony Hyman, Curator, National Cigar Museum www.nationalcigarmuseum.com <thyman@cigarhistory.info>

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Tony. The list posted above by Steven Anderson is accurate for what was on sale to 1st Class passengers on the Titanic. But we don't know what was available for sale to 2nd and 3rd Class. And the barbers also sold tobacco products as a concessionary business and their stocks might have been rather different. Steven's last paragraph refers to artefacts which were brought aboard by passengers or crew, and that of course would include a much greater variety of brands. In 3rd Class in particular the smokers generally brought their own supplies as the onboard prices were generally higher. Steven appears, btw, to be referring to predecessors or equivalents of the later brands which he names.

There were Smoke Rooms on board for all three Classes of passengers and also one near the Bridge for the Officers. Most if not all of the available photographs of the passenger facilities show the rooms on the Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic. As far as I know there is no photograph available of the Officers' Smoke Room.

Titanic idiot

May 11, 2017
Officer Pitman has been shown in an watercolor portrait smoking a pipe, which I think was done in the 1930's. I believe Captain Smith himself was a pipe smoker. In fact, I think this was discussed on a thread awhile back. Does anyone remember that?
Captain Smith was a cigar smoker.