What do you all do for a living?

Mar 17, 2010
London
The secret recipe sounds intriguing, João!

As for what I do for a living - I'm a student and I get paid by my parents to do chores around the house
happy.gif
Oh, and I'm currently writing a book of short stories. I don't know when it will be done, though. After that I plan to write a non-fiction book, hopefully on one of my two big loves, Ancient Egypt and the Titanic.

Then I want to pursue my acting career further and become professional, not just on the stage. The only bad thing will probably be the lack of privacy.

Carla

Feb 9, 2006
I'm a 19 year old former home schooled student. I am going to the University of Denver in the fall. (And hope to eventually be a docent at the Margaret Brown house.)

I suppose I could cautiously call myself a writer, as I have published a few journalism things.

I figure I might want to end up working at some manner of history magazine or something like that.

Jul 9, 2004
>I'm a 19 year old former home schooled student.

Ditto...
happy.gif

I don't have a job and don't drive yet - although the ball is officially rolling on that. I've been volunteering with an organization that is restoring the lovely 1891 Pritchard House of Titusville, FLA. And I've also helped with their other projects, such as moving an school house that was abandoned for forty years out on Kennedy Space Center property. The school house will be reconstructed and placed in a park where our other projects are going to be placed, such as Oliver's Camp, the Gibson tenement houses, and about thirteen other structures that we are moving, such as the Arthur Dunn house of Mims, a Sears catalogue house in Titusville and many other buildings. One thing I am very excited about is the committee that I serve on that will be putting together the interiors of the Pritchard House once it is stabilized - hopefully that will happen in the summer.

You can see some of the things this organization is doing here: http://www.pritchardhouse.com

I also write, but on the scale of a hobby. A publisher would probably laugh at what I have written. It's mostly fiction, but some day I hope to run a website that documents local history, as so many people in my area do not know anything of the history of the area.

I plan on starting to study for my Gemological Institute of America certification soon, as I would like to earn my money in a job I love, which would be a certified gemologist, someone who appraises and identifies gemstones. Eventually, I'd like to own my own jewelry design firm and design platinum and gold jewelry.

Feb 9, 2006
>I don't have a job and don't drive yet...

Ditto! :D

The stuff you do sounds very cool, though. God, I love this magical internet, it always reminds me that I am not unique enough to be lonely (though still unique enough to be awesome) and that Titanic nerds and former home schoolers abound. Hurrah!

Jul 9, 2004
>The stuff you do sounds very cool, though. God, I love this magical internet, it always reminds me that I am not unique enough to be lonely (though still unique enough to be awesome) and that Titanic nerds and former home schoolers abound. Hurrah

Thanks. I'm glad you found it interesting. What you wouldn't have found interesting, though, was the size of the palmetto bugs that lived in the school house - and the toilets - but they were the wall-tank type and we'll actually use one of them in the Pritchard House. They came from the other houses that were part of an extinct settlement called Allenhurst (before then, it was Clifton. Long story...)

It's definitely nice to know that someone being young and interested in history at the same time is not a fluke of nature.
happy.gif

Feb 9, 2006
Eeee, what's a palmetto bug? I like some bugs, and some (like the millipede infestation of my house last year induce stifled on the break of insanity shrieking in the middle of the night...well, just those two times.)

>It's definitely nice to know that someone being young and interested in history at the same time is not a fluke of nature.

Yes! Heavens! Though sometimes it makes me feel like a freak of one. I mean, some people are INTERESTED in history...And then there's me. Whole other level.

Jul 9, 2004
>Eeee, what's a palmetto bug?

Ok... umm... to put it delicately... or not so delicately... It's a giant cockroach. The school house had been abandoned for sixty years (not forty, actually, it was abandoned in the 1940s) and it had partially collapsed on one side - and its other side was held up by the "DiVINE tree" on the other side - in fact, you can go to where the school house was (look out for ticks!) and see the hickory tree that held it up - and the three inch dent in its side where it actually grew around the roof eave. So the building stood open to the elements and we couldn't take it in one piece - so we disassembled it - Ok demolished it - but we were going to put it back together with what good wood we recovered from it and that was when the palmetto bugs, the centipedes (and millipedes) and mice and brown recluses started to scamper around. Slightly terrifying, but tolerable - since you were trapped in a room with them. There were tons of artifacts - most dating to the 'teens to the mid 30s. Lots of textiles, including fragments a cook's smocked blue gingham apron from the early 20s.

>Yes! Heavens! Though sometimes it makes me feel like a freak of one. I mean, some people are INTERESTED in history...And then there's me. Whole other level.

So apparently you have experience with the blank, glazed over stares that you get when you talk to someone the same age about what you're interested in also? I have a cousin - younger than me, in her defense - whos knowledge of her history was... *drumroll* she had the e-mail address of someone had the same last name as the subdivision she lived in. At least - that was the only bit of history that I heard from her.

(Trying to justify my lengthy, off topic rant) I also like photography as a hobby. So here's a link to my photostream on Flickr. Please - pardon the goofy self portraits... it was the demerol!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decrepit-telephone/

Feb 9, 2006
Giant cockroaches sound...disturbing. Could be worse, though. The manner of bugs that I truly cannot handle are all worm and worm-like things. Compared to them, cockroaches are my best friends.

Hehehe. It's not usually quite THAT bad. With people my age it's more like "Oh Lucy's such a nerd! *throws head back and laughs indulgently*"

Older people when the subject comes are more like "this girl is very weird. But possibly in a good, or at least novel way."

Those are some amazingly cool photos! I haven't ever seen houses like that closely. They look like a doll I had a long time ago, though the doll house managed to look MORE like there might be ghosts around...

But very cool, I'll look around some more later.

I dig photography as well, but I am fairly new at it. I am more about trying to covertly photographs strangers on the streets in their interactions than anything else.

May 3, 2005
I am a retired Electronic Technician , having served 4 years in the U.S. Navy and 38 years in the Federal Aviation Administration in that position.

My sea duty in the Navy was only a little over 2 1/2 years so a lot of the information especially that of Jim Currie and Samuel Halpern are about things I had never even heard about in my naval service, so this website is a very educational experience.
Most of sea duty was on USS Kenneth Whiting (AV-14) operations out of San Diego and Iwakuni, Japan. Little over 2 years, 2 cruises to Japan and back.
Short time of duty ( about 6 months) on USS Sicily ( CVE-118 )
First experiences of being at sea were on USS McCord ( DD-534) and USNS General Daniel I Sultan ( TAP-120 ) also ex-USS DuPage ( ex - APB-51)

One thing that I did feel guilty about was reading about those " 4 on and 4 off watches." But my own experiences were what would be called "day workers." Our "ET" operations were much like those shown in ANTR of Cyril Evans sleeping in his cot during off duty hours. We had it easy. I don't remember ever getting less than 8 hours sleep every night from "Taps" (2200 hours) and "Reveille" (0600 hours). Never missed a meal either.

In closing , I am a native of Dallas, Texas, USA , currently residing in Irving for the last 50 years.
I am also a ham radio operator (W5TBC) , bit of a photography bug and an on and off member and tour guide in The Dallas Historical Society and The Old Red Museum Of Dallas County History....and a History Nerd.
Graduate of Sunset High School and A.S. degree in E.E. from Arlington State College ( now U.T.A.).

Last edited: