What do you think happened on the Mary Celeste

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
what do you think happened on the Mary Celeste?i think the crew (8)and passengers (2)feared an explosion in the cargo of alcohol.if not i dont know what to say.keep in mind that the lifeboat,a few navagating instriments and the main logbook was missing not to mention everyone aboard the ill fated ship.what would you say happened?

kevin johnson

Apr 2, 2005
>there was atheory put forth that the crew and passengers went crazy from ergot posioning due to moldy bread and had a lsd like effect and they deserted the ship

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
that cant be true because the crew of the Dia Gratia who boarded her ate the food they found and were okay.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
good thaught John but why would the pirates take with the lifeboat,a few navagating instuments and the main logbook.i even thought it was pirates the first time i began researching into the Mary Celeste case.

Feb 14, 2011
Im keen on that theory presented within the "Dr Who" episode, when the Daleks materialised on the ship, and everyone jumped overboard and drowned!! I think it was a William Hartnell episode (the first doctor)

regards

Tarn Stephanos

J

John Meeks

...It's always possible, I suppose...(I always like to keep an open mind!)

John M

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
quite a good theory but what happened to the lifeboat,main logbook and some navagating instuments.if this theory did happen then i would suspect a heat wave but im still sticking to my explosion theory.

Feb 14, 2011
If anyone is after the Fay book on the Mary Celeste, written many decades past, a bookstore in Gloucester MA had over a dozen copies...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
who were her crew and passengers i know of........
Benjiman Briggs-Captain
Sarah Briggs-Captain Briggs wife
does anyone know the names of the others?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
1st Mate. Albert Richardson. Maine.
2nd Mate. Andrew Gilling. New York.
Steward/Cook. Edward Head. Williamsburg.
Seamen. Volkert and Boz Lorenzen, Arian Martens, Gottlieb Goodschaad. East Prussia. (There are variations in the spelling of these names).

Sophia Briggs, the Captain's two-year-old daughter was also on board. There were no passengers.

The ship seems to have had a good crew and in a letter to his mother the captain expressed his satisfaction with them.

For what it's worth, I'll go along with the theory that there was some kind of minor explosion of fumes from the cargo, followed by a panic taking to the boat. A expert insurance claim investigator has pointed out that it is possible for an explosion of alcohol fumes to leave no burn marks. That would make the affair look more mysterious than it was.

May 27, 2007
New show on the Mary Celeste!
Show on History International Channel on Friday April 11th at (9:00 Eastern/)about the last mysterious voyage of the Mary Celeste. I'll be watching and see if they have any new theories to throw on the fire.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'll be watching and see if they have any new theories to throw on the fire.<<

More likely then not, they'll rehash some of the same old drek, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. Much of the mystery surrounding this ship is way over-rated.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
>>>>> For what it's worth, I'll go along with the theory that there was some kind of minor explosion of fumes from the cargo, followed by a panic taking to the boat. A expert insurance claim investigator has pointed out that it is possible for an explosion of alcohol fumes to leave no burn marks. That would make the affair look more mysterious than it was. <<<<<<

That's most likely what started it. None of the crew, including Briggs were used to carrying crude alcohol (which was undrinkabe, by the way) which, if the venting was inadequate, would give off fumes and make loud rumbling noises suggesting an imminent explosion. Although the actual chance of a dangerous explosion was very small, Briggs and the others would not have known that. So, they must have taken to the boat along with the ships sextant and compass, both of which were missing when the Dei Gratia found the drifting Mary Celeste. Also missing was the stiff peak halyard, which they must have used to connect the boat to the half-brig. But soon after everyone took to the lifeboat, the Mary Celeste's sails picked up the wind and the ship started 'running away' from them, towing the lifeboat along. But tautening peak halyard was forcing the bow of the lifeboat down threatening to flood the boat as the Mary Celeste picked up speed and so Briggs had to give the order to release the line. That sealed their fate as the Mary Celeste sailed away in the wind leaving the small lifeboat drifting helplessly in the sea. A storm must have finished it off, leaving no trace.