What do you think sank Britannic

P

Phillip Ivey II

definitely a mine. latest video footage confirms that.

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
Yep the 2003 expedition I think found the mine debris. It was shown on the National Geographic Channel around the time GotA was released on dvd.

M

Matt Robinson

Definitely a mine. Thats surely the only explanation.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Report into the loss of HMHS Britannic by Captain Charles Alfred Bartlett;

... At 8.12 A.M. when in the position above mentioned a tremendous but muffled explosion occurred, the ship trembling and vibrating most violently fore and aft, continuing for some time; the ship fell of about 3 points from her course. ... My first impression was that we had struck a mine and would probably be safe.

M

MATTHEW JOSEPH COOPER

The mine hit's the bottom and the torpedo hit's furthur up.But there was rumors and I read this in the enigma on Hospital Ship Britannic.com page that there was a second explosion.

>> The mine hit's the bottom and the torpedo hit's furthur up.

Matthew that didn't answer the question. The question is how within a very short timeframe could a torpedo and a mine hit a ship. A mine is anchored and waiting to be brushed up against...accidentally. A torpedo is intentionally fired. The sub would need to be lying in wait for a ship to a hit a mine, and why do double the damage when a mine can sink a ship in two shakes?

Second explosions can mean quite a few things on a sinking ship.

And, finally, was there documented sub activity in the area at the time of the sinking? Did anyone see the trail of the torpedo as it moved toward the ship?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Second explosions can also be a figment of the witnesses imagination, or their distorted understanding of what did happen. In any event, I don't think coal dust would have been much of an issue on Britannic since there was none in any of the bunkers where the explosion occured.

M

Matthew Joseph

well today's expeditions can't always be right and i am pretty sure they can make mistakes even Simon Mills.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>well today's expeditions can't always be right and i am pretty sure they can make mistakes even Simon Mills.<<

Matthew, this is simply an appeal to ignorance. Hardly a valid point.

It's not enough to claim that somebody might be wrong. You have to present credible evidence that they are wrong. Papers Past and YouTube videos don't get you there when they're stacked up against mountains of evidence collected by direct observation of the wrecksite and the debris trail.

M

Matthew Joseph

>>Report into the loss of HMHS Britannic by Captain Charles Alfred Bartlett;

... At 8.12 A.M. when in the position above mentioned a tremendous but muffled explosion occurred, the ship trembling and vibrating most violently fore and aft, continuing for some time; the ship fell of about 3 points from her course. ... My first impression was that we had struck a mine and would probably be safe.<<

No Captain Bartlett's opinion was that she was torpedoed