What does the film mean to you

C

Courtney Gould

I have a question regarding the 1997 film, Titanic...

What does the movie mean to you? Why do you think it has become such a popular film?

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Michael,
I agree whole-heartedly. It is indeed the most visually accurate movie created about the Titanic, but is not without its flaws, as you say. To me, it's simply a good Titanic movie. I saw it in the theater, eventually purchased the video, where it sits on my shelf sandwiched between "A Night to Remember" and the National Georgraphic video "Secrets of the Titanic".

May 5, 2001
The 1997 film "Titanic" placed the tragedy in yet another perspective for me. The special FX were outstanding. I think what it meant to me is not so much the fact that it was just a movie but it was a movie which depicted a real life tragedy and that is why I believe it was so successful. While the majority of return patrons were teenagers crazy about DiCaprio, I went to see it 5 times just for the sheer scope of the event itself.

I think others would agree that real life drama will sometimes win oscars much more frequently than fiction only because it is something that touched reality, not fantasy.

Dec 31, 2000
Titanic is always something that will touch my soul because it is something that happened, that didn't need to happen.

On another note, there is a new movie coming out about Pearl Harbor that I am totally looking forward too. The FX looks incredible. Another tragedy that did not need to happen.

Titanic will always hold my heart and I have watched the movie so many times now that my housemate tells me that instead of Jack saying "I'm the King of the World" on the bow of the ship, he says, "I can't take this anymore" and jumps. LOL

Cheers to ya'll

Beverly

Aug 29, 2000
It was a time machine for me- a visual feast of costumes, customs, colors, interiors and a passport to an event that I've imagined for years. It was a chance to see the water rushing up the Grand Staircase, a chance to step into the lifeboat- and for nearly three hours, be in the place we go to in our minds so often- the love story was only the vehicle for the ride.

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
The movie to me, is like a time machine as well. We get see the most of the ship interiors in an accurate portray as with the exteriors. The film has captured 1912 and what it was like to be on an ocean liner in the days of the gilded age- a time of hope and optimism. Though many critise the Jack and Rose story, I belive it was great idea, because it kept the modern generation enthralled and they acted like tour guides showing us around the cramped third-class corridors to spacious luxurious rooms of first-class.Also the film pulled Titanic back into the world again which I liked. I remember every time when I went to a bookshop to find a Titanic book and every time they were always sold out. This film encouraged other people to get interested in the real events of the Titanic disaster. It also proved that Titanic even after 89 years after he sinking still captures the worlds imagination by storm making her the most famous ship in history.

Regards Nigel Bryant

Mar 20, 2000
I agree with Nigel and Shelley about the movie representing the era so well. For me it accomplishes this so well that that is what I take away from it, rather than any particularly new conception of the ship or its sinking.

In fact whenever I watch the video, I'm so in love with seeing the happy, well-dressed people and the beautiful interiors in part 1 that I can't bring myself to see it all destroyed in part 2. I can never bear to watch the sinking and the aftermath of people struggling in the water. It's too gruesome.

Randy

May 5, 2001
Hello again everyone.....

Note to Beverly: Beverly, I found your obsession with The TITANIC film eerily familiar because while your housemate yells "I can't take this anymore", my wife dubs the Titanic "The Rust" because I am so Titanic Obsessed, I think she is sick and tired of it also...

Note to Shelley: Shelley, I would love to get inside a time machine and go back in time to the afternoon of the collision and just walk the decks and then experiance the collision and the horrible aftermath leading up to the breakup and the sinking if for no other reason just to see what really went on that night.

Note to Nigel: Hi Nigel, I am not so sure that time will ever forget the passing of this great ship, it's essence as you call it will live on forever, it was one of those things that you can't quite grasp the significance of unless you were actually there, the film helps you understand what happened but I could not imagine anything more horrible than being there in 1912 in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night and nothing under you but 2 1/2 miles of water.

Note to Randy: Hi Randy, you are absolutely right, even I had trouble with the sinking and the aftermath with all the people in the water flailing away with nothing to grab a hold of to save themselves except each other and then to just die of hypothermia, I could not imagine a greater horror than that so if you found that to be too gruesome to watch, I can just imagine what actually being there back in 1912 was like.

Bill

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
All; I've noticed that the Jack and Rose story has always been something of an irritant to the Titanic community as a whole, but if not Jack and Rose, then who would the story be about? I honestly believe that the animus exists because some people expected too much of a film which was intended to be a love story from the start, not a history lesson.

I think a strieght docudrama would never have gone down all that well with movie goers, hence a story about two individuals with hopes, dreams, aspirations and desires, one of whom died, and another who's life was changed forever. There's a certain truth to that, and to the emotional impact despite all the fiction.

As to the sinking itself, I think Cameron certainly got the sheer violence and the terror involved just right on general principle even if the nuts and bolts details had some obvious (to us) mistakes. People rarely sedatedly and calmly sing hymns when a ship is breaking up and sinking beneath them into freezing water, and in Camaron's flick, they didn't. They screamed. I think I might have too had I been one of the passangers.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

C

Christine Geyer

Hello to you all.

Nigel has found the right words and I totally agree with him: The movie has brought back the Titanic to life for us in a unique way. I think that even though it's a movie it's an incredible possibility to get in touch with the real one since the set and costumes were so authentic and even the actors looked so similar to the "real" people. Indeed I distinguish from the real thing but nevertheless I remember me sitting in the cinema watching it for the first time: It was breathcatching, as if the beautiful photos that we all know suddenly came to life. That's why I appreciate the movie so much. In addition I esteem to see those scenes that are shot literal to the examination of the inquiries.

When I first saw it I felt a little disturbed by the lovestory but I understand that it was helpful to make the audience bound into the whole event and Titanic's story, at least those that were not already as fascinated by her as we all are.

Many regards
Christine

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
The story of Jack and Rose as the impetus in telling Titanic's story is truly no more of a distraction to me than that of Scarlett and Rhett in telling the Civil War story. It's like Forrest Gump, actually. The characters were at the pivotal moments of that time and place and we got to see it all through their eyes. While I would have liked to have seen a 16-hour movie telling the stories of all the passengers and crewmembers I've come to love and admire, I am happy with the 3-1/2 hour version. Even the afterlife reunion of Jack and Rose brought me to tears as it reminded me of my own unrequited and tragic love story and the imaginings of an afterlife reunion with my own "Jack".

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What I wouldn't mind seeing would be a miniseries with the stories of the real passangers and crew members done with the same or better attention to detail that Cameron showed. Or perhaps a multi year running series which deals with everything from to conceiving the idea of the Olympic class liners to the investigations. This would be right up the History Channel's alley!

(Sigh) and if wishes were fishes....

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ahhhhh....the Great Eastern? I don't know that I would go back quite that far. I think I'd start with a casual meeting in 1907 between Lord Pirrie and J. Bruce Ismay at that mansion in Belgrave Square London.

Perhaps befor the scene with the meeting, have a narrarator(David Warner? I kind of like that guy.) give a breif synopsis of the history of the transatlantic trade which led up to the meeting, complete with period photos of the ships, shipyards, passangers and so on flashing on and off during the narration befor finally settling on the mansion where Pirrie and Ismay enter the scene.

Who to do it? Well, Paramount and Fox did a pretty good job producing Cameron's film, although with the costs and the enormous risk they took, they might be a little leery of investing in something more in depth.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 5, 2001
I must admit that the Jack and Rose scenario in the movie helped pull the story of the sinking together and put it in perspective although I really think the movie could've made it on the ship's tragedy by itself, some of the facets of the love story were good.

I like David Warner myself, he is a good actor and he is in the David Janssen version of S.O.S. Titanic, which was made back in the 70's, which was a disappointment because the Titanic did not look like the Titanic. I believe it is available still. I believe that particular version concentrates on John Astor, which Janssen portrays.

Bill

Jan 31, 2001
Hello,

The film to me offers a chance to go back to a simpler way of life. The atmosphere of the movie bonds you to the story of this infamous liner, the highlight and arrogance of the time, that met a tragic and untimely end, taking with it some of the richest (and poorest) people in the world. The plot lets you bond with the characters, although the core ones are plainly fictional. Even with all the small flaws and the lack of attention to some of the main historical events (the New York near-miss,etc.), the James Cameron movie still pulls through as the best of the Titanic flicks. Even after four years (can't believe it's been that long!), I still find myself watching the film and noticing things I never noticed before. Although in general I prefer not to pay much notice to the fictional characters, I find Billy Zane's Cal Hockely character to be very fascinating. He's on this ship that he personally claims could not be sunk by even God, and winds up learning the hard way that he was terribly wrong. I know he's supposed to be the film's villians, but I think he's cool.

I can clearly remember the evening that I first watched "Titanic" on the big screen. I had read about the doomed liner many times before, and new that I could expect to see a lot of death scenes in the film, as well as a lot of sadness. I know this sounds strange, but I was actaully nervous before entering the theatre. Then the film started, and I remember never wanting to see the great ship sink. Then there was the collision with the iceberg, and I don't think from that point on that my eyes wandered from the screen for a single second. I was absoulutely caught up in it. This is what the film means for me, as I will never forget the memories I have of it.

-B.W.

May 5, 2001
Michael's quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think a strieght docudrama would never have gone down all that well with movie goers, hence a story about two individuals with hopes, dreams, aspirations and desires, one of whom died, and another who's life was changed forever. There's a certain truth to that, and to the emotional impact despite all the fiction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michael,
I agree with you to a certain degree, I think what would've worked "docudrama" style is an IMAX type presentation of the sinking w/o the fluff of a love story tied in to it. but on the other hand, the end result where Rose's life is changed forever after Jack dies is strong and rooted in truth to a degree in real life.
--------------------------------------------------
Michael's quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As to the sinking itself, I think Cameron certainly got the sheer violence and the terror involved just right on general principle even if the nuts and bolts details had some obvious (to us) mistakes. People rarely sedatedly and calmly sing hymns when a ship is breaking up and sinking beneath them into freezing water, and in Camaron's flick, they didn't. They screamed. I think I might have too had I been one of the passangers.
I agree with you on this one Mike, I believe Cameron scored a direct hit with the sheer horror of the sinking and as far as singing hymms, the only Titanic movie I saw that in right up to the end was "TITANIC" with clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck, which in and of itself was not a bad movie but was fraught with flaws:
@ No attention to detail in the ship
@ Iceberg damage on port side instead of Starboard (big long gash instead of bumps and pokes)
@ No Breakup, although there was no proof it had when that movie was made.

I still believe that the best Titanic film before Cameron's was "A Night to remember". There is no love story, just a "get down to the heart of it" storyline.
--------------------------------------------------
Michael, if it bothered you that I quoted your msgs in mine, please tell me and I won't do it anymore, it is not my desire to offend anyone here. I love this place.

Bill

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
No problem on quotes, Bill. We all do it.

On the docudrama in an IMAX format, there are two problems. One is expense, but the biggie is audience attention span. The first can be solved more or less, but the attention span thing is a problem that doesn't go away. Us hardcore Titanic fans would sit through it, at least we would if it was really well made.

But would John and Jane Q. Public do so?

Rather a doubtful proposition. That's why so many good scenes in a flick end up on the cutting room floor and Titanic was no exception. Notice that the longer "director cuts" of a film usually come out on vidio, and never in the theatre.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 5, 2001
Brandon's Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The film to me offers a chance to go back to a simpler way
of life. The atmosphere of the movie bonds you to the story
of this infamous liner, the highlight and arrogance of the
time, that met a tragic and untimely end, taking with it
some of the richest (and poorest) people in the world. The
plot lets you bond with the characters, although the core
ones are plainly fictional. Even with all the small flaws
and the lack of attention to some of the main historical
events (the New York near-miss,etc.), the James Cameron
movie still pulls through as the best of the Titanic flicks.
Even after four years (can't believe it's been that long!),
I still find myself watching the film and noticing things I
never noticed before. Although in general I prefer not to
pay much notice to the fictional characters, I find Billy
Zane's Cal Hockely character to be very fascinating. He's
on this ship that he personally claims could not be sunk by
even God, and winds up learning the hard way that he was
terribly wrong. I know he's supposed to be the film's
villians, but I think he's cool.
Hi Brandon, I agree with you that The Titanic represented a simpler way of life, it was an age where there was a sense of complacency, it was a time when a ship like The Titanic was heralded as a masterpiece of design and luxury and nothing could out do it, The Titanic was built so magnificently that there were some that thought she was a lifeboat by herself and that none should be installed but the british board of trade would not allow that so they had to settle for the minimum but Andrews said we should have enough for everyone but then Ismay said the ship's deck would be too cluttered for our rich and famous to walk around.

So in the end of course, the rich and famous were reduced to that of the common person as they struggled to save their own lives when the biggest, most luxurious ship in the world was crashing to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.
------------------------------------------------
Brandon's Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can clearly remember the evening that I first watched
"Titanic" on the big screen. I had read about the doomed
liner many times before, and new that I could expect to see
a lot of death scenes in the film, as well as a lot of
sadness. I know this sounds strange, but I was actaully
nervous before entering the theatre. Then the film started,
and I remember never wanting to see the great ship sink.
Then there was the collision with the iceberg, and I don't
think from that point on that my eyes wandered from the
screen for a single second. I was absoulutely caught up in
it. This is what the film means for me, as I will never
forget the memories I have of it.
Brandon, I will tell you that when my wife and I went to the Theater to see it for the first time, there were squealing teenagers, who absolutely felt that DiCaprio was a dream and they talked and laughed and had a grand ole time till about the last 45 minutes of the film and you could hear a pin drop in the theater, eyes were glued, teenagers were not so happy anymore as the ship was sinking, broke in half and sank and then the struggle to survive, the kicking screaming terrified passengers flailing in the water and then seeing everyone dead in the water, I heard crying and the person sitting next to me asked "Is this what really happened?", I told him that I wasn't there but it's a pretty good bet.

Even those present were as stunned as I was, moved too....it was depicted very accurately, I can only imagine how it really was back in 1912.

I apologize for the long message but I felt that I needed to get that off my chest...thanks for listening.

Bill