What ever happened to Polar the Titanic Bear

May 8, 2001
I.'M. D.itsy B.londe.... (You'll see why... :) )
Sam. I only came up with the 2 documentries, and then all these morphed names like George Lynch, and a few hundred movies like "Clown George" (1932), Bell Bottom George" (1943), "Fatty and George" (1981) "Sharkey and George" (1992) "Fishing with George" (1994), and "George B." (1998)
Maybe I am just caught off guard since I thought that Geoff and Pat wrote something about ME in their post. OOHH! That's right... They didn't say Irish colleen in cell 4. Sorry. Late taping last night on the Jerry Springer show. :)
Colleen

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi George,

Here's a link to the site:
http://www.imdb.com

I believe Sam is referring to your "movie star" status on the site. Just type in your name in the search box for your actor's filmography! (Funny, I got no such credit for being silly-hatted village kid on the left in a televised stage production of Jack and the beanstalk. hmmph!)

I'm ashamed to admit that I have not yet seen the two 1994 documentaries attached to your name (Duck Ben!). I'm assuming they're available on video?

Best Regards,
Ben

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Pat!

>By the way, George, IMDB (unless I miss my guess) >refers to the "Internet Movie Data Base"

Thanks very much for the info, old chap.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems, but I'm glad you're back online again (even though that will once again expose you to Geoff's erratic behavior.) :)

Hi, Colleen!

>I only came up with the 2 documentries, and then >.... "Fatty and George"

Geoff is far too modest to tell you this himself, but he was my co-star in that one. (He died at the very end when a pastry wagon tipped over on him -- it was heartbreaking.) :)

Hi, Ben!

Haven't spoken with you in quite a while, old chap -- it's nice to see you again. :)

Thanks very much for the URL of that movie website -- I'll take a look. (I had no idea that minor participants even had their names associated with such projects.)

>(Funny, I got no such credit for being >silly-hatted village kid on the left in
> a televised stage production >of Jack and the beanstalk. hmmph!)

I remember that program! High drama at its finest. :)

> I'm ashamed to admit that I >have not yet seen the two 1994 documentaries .... >I'm assuming they're available on video?

As far as I know, the four-hour A&E documentary is still available on video. (Check your local library first, though -- many libraries have the program in their circulating collection.) I think you'll find the ducumentary very worthwhile.

Take care, everyone.

All my best,

George

Nov 22, 2000
No, no George, take heart, I didn't really die in the final scenes of "Fatty & George". I simply ate the pastry - then started on the wagon - very nice it was too.
I suppose that our appearance in "Titanic" - yes, that was really Geoffrey di Caprio playing Jack! should have gone under the alternative title of "three men in a boat" or perhaps "two men and Cook in a boat"?

Geoff

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi George,

Nice to see you again too :) Long time no chat!

Thanks for the heads up regarding the A&E documentary. I'll make some inquiries at the library. I'd be interested to put a face to your name!

All the best,

Ben

J

Jan Kite

Hi Geoff. You just have'nt been the same since THE dive.I may have to cancel my dive if that is what compression does to one.Regards Jan BTS

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
George, the fame and fortune gained from the days of "Fatty and George" and the pastry wagon must have stuck a chord with one eBay seller. A copy of your book is again on the docket for opening bid of $100.

Oh, and Herr Cook, how are you recovering from that unfortunate 'mishap' involving the staple gun, the tricycle and the pine tree?

Wasn't me,
Dan

May 8, 2001
POLAR THE TITANIC BEAR HELP.
I have decided that I have to get a Steiff bear and put it on display with the book. I know that they are VERY expensive, since I saw a Steiff bear at my local coin shop today for several hundred dollars, but could you tell me what is a good deal on a "Polar the Titanic Bear?"
I bet that Behe is really glad that it isn't HIS book I am looking to put on display huh?? :)
Colleen

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Colleen!

> I bet that Behe is really glad >that it isn't HIS book I am looking to put on >display huh??

Are you saying you don't want to display the cute little Steiff George figurine alongside my book? :)

All my best,

George

May 8, 2001
George. I was thinking that I would have a difficult time keeping YOU sitting on the shelf, because every time you wiggled, you would knock the book over. :)
Colleen

Aug 2, 2006
When i spoke with Leighton Coleman he told me this.
"I am happy to report that Polar is safe and sound in a vault."

Grant Woollacott

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
That's interesting information. I had always assumed that Polar would have been likely buried with Douglas. Perhaps the Speddens just found it too precious a reminder of their son to let go of.

Aug 2, 2006
Eric,
The story is very interesting. When Douglas died Daisy and Fredric left his bedroom "as is" like if he left something on the floor they left it there. There was a basket of stuffed toys in his room and Leighton told me Polar was all the way in the bottom of the basket buried by other toys and he (Leighton) was looking through the basket one day whilst in Douglass former bedroom and found the bear. Leighton would spend the summer at his Grandfathers home and with his brother they would explore the attic and carriage house and one day while looking through the carriage house he found a steamer trunk filled with Spedden items. Because after Daisy died the trunk was left to his Grandparents. It contained Daisys journals including her account of the Titanic, Many photos like the famous one of playing with the top and other things like that. Leighton put the trunk back in the carriage house expecting to return to it in the next few days. But it was not for several years when he was going off to collage and helped his Grandfather clean out a life time of items and the trunk was put in the garbage pile but he took it out at the perfect time. The whole story and more is on the great website:

http://polarthetitanicbear.com/

Grant

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
That's interesting because I remember reading somewhere, that I thought was in the afterword to the book itself, that no one knew what had happened to Polar, but it sounds like Polar was found long before the book was rediscovered.

I have to admit that knowing about poor Douglas's fate makes reading the book much more poignant and sad.

Aug 2, 2006
Yes it dose. before i knew of so many passengers fates i read the book and wanted to see if douglas was still alive this was in 1999 but as i did more research i found he died in 1915.