What exact time did the titanic sink

N

Nathan Eyles

I was wondering at what exact times did the Titanic slowly hit the iceberg and gradually sink?

Pedro Soares

Aug 6, 2001
Portugal
Hi Nathan. By the information I have, Titanic hit the iceberg at 11.40 pm. It took less than a minute between the sighting and the crash with the iceberg. Ligths went out at 2.18 am and the stern disappeared in the water at 2.20 am.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Pedro Soares

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
According to Titanic ship time, what time would you say sunrise was on the 15th? I've heard this discussed before but can't recall what conclusion was reached.

~ Inger

M

Markus Philipp

About ships times

i have spent some time to get clear about this.
here a draft of my results as up to the present:

Titanic: . . . . . . 1 h 37 minutes ahead of New York time
Carpathia: . . . . 1 h 50 min
Californian: . . . 1 h 50 min
Mount Temple: 1 h 46 min

About Titanic: Nearly all books say that Titanic was 1 h 50 min ahead of New York time as well. I don't know why. Up to know i could nowhere find any testimony, statement or evidence for this.
I think it is just an assumption to put it quite near to Carpathia.

Rostron sent a telegram to Haddock: "... Titanic foundered at 2.20, 5.47 G.M.T. ..."
5.47 GMT is 0.47 New York time. So the time difference is 1 h 37 minutes. This time is used in the epilogue of US-enquiry.

Markus

M

Markus Philipp

Hi Inger,

You asked for the time of sun rise. I looked up in the nautical almanac for April 15th and 42° Latitude:
Sunrise: 5.18 a.m.
Sundown: 6.42 p.m.
These times apply for the local time on the longitude of your position. The ships times were not adjusted to the longitude 50° west, so we have to figure a bit.
New York time is the local time of 75° longitude. Titanic and Carpathia were on 50° degrees longitude.
The difference is 25 degrees. With 4 minutes per longitude the correct local time would be 100 minutes = 1 hour 40 minutes ahead of New York time. Carpathia time was 1 h 50 minutes ahead of New York time and therewith 10 minutes ahead of the local time for 50° longitude.

So again the times in Carpathia ships time:

Sunrise: 5.28 a.m.
Sundown: 6.52 p.m.

Sunny regards

Markus

M

Markus Philipp

Sorry to be confusing
<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Rostron sent a telegram to Haddock: "... Titanic foundered at 2.20, 5.47 G.M.T. ..."
5.47 GMT is 0.47 New York time.

2.20 Titanic
0.47 New York Time
---------------

The time difference is 1 hour 33 minutes.

Markus

M

Markus Philipp

About sunrise, the times i gave are from astronomical point of view. Because of refraction the sun appears higher than it really is. The time where stars and horizon can be seen covers with the time where the sun is 6&deg; ... 12&deg; degrees below the horizon. In tropical regions this is about 48 to 24 minutes before sunrise and 24 to 48 minutes after sundown.

Markus

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Markus -

Many thanks for that *very* comprehensive answer! So, if I understand this correctly (and that's doubtful - like Captain Oates of the Scott expedition, there's nothing more incomprehensible to me than a string of numbers) - by Carpathia ship's time, sunrise was at 5.28 am. If the Titanic was 13 minutes behind Carpathia's time, does that make sunrise on the 15th, according to Titanic ship's time, 5.15am?

Inger

M

Markus Philipp

Inger, sorry for the delay, I always looked at "last day" for new posts. And somehow I missed your question.

Sorry about two different figures I gave about Titanic ships time. Titanic was as far as I can see 1 hour 33 minutes ahead of New York time. She was 17 minutes behind Carpathia's time. So sunrise was at 5.11 am ship's time.

The time I got from the almanac, 5.18 am local time, or 5.11 ships time, is the time of visible sunrise. That means the upper edge of the sun will touch the horizon then. I will go on in Titanic ships time now. Between 4.10 am and 4.40 am one can see horizon and stars, time to take star observations. At 3.40 am it is still deep dark. The dawn will break between 3.40 and 4.10 a.m.

I mentioned already that my opinion about ships time is not aligned with the general supposition which puts Titanic's time 1 hour and 50 minutes ahead of New York time. To get all these times in Carpathia time add 17 minutes.

All my best

Markus