What exactly is the purpose of this Off Topic section?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I have recently tried to post a thread here asking if anyone knows what Latin American debt is after hearing this phrase in the movie The Day After Tomorrow, but it was deleted for being "wholly off topic and not in keeping with what the off topic section is for".

Why is there even an off topic section if people can't ask questions like that here? I just wanted to see if anybody on this website knew what that phrase meant.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hi, Dan---

Take a look at the titles of the threads in this section. Off Topic is reserved for exceptional situations of universal importance; that's why there have been only eight threads in the last two years, at least one of which seems not to fit that criterion.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Hi, Dan---

Take a look at the titles of the threads in this section. Off Topic is reserved for exceptional situations of universal importance; that's why there have been only eight threads in the last two years, at least one of which seems not to fit that criterion.
I think I understand now. Luckily, I was able to find the answer to my question on Yahoo! Answers.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Why is the off topic forum only for exceptional situations of supreme importance.
That's the definitional limitation that has applied since this Message Board was created.
And who gets to decide what is of supreme or universal importance?
Phil Hind and the moderators.
There are other websites, including FB, that deal with all that other stuff.
That's right, Sam, and that's why Off Topic has always been so limited.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
Was there ever any consideration given to opening Off Topic to just about any subject in the years before social media sites like Facebook, not just situations of universal importance.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
How do the fire that damaged Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last year and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic meet the definition of the off topic section.