What funnels did the ship break between?

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
It broke just in from the of the third funnel, almost exactly the technical middle of the ship. This is why there were reports of two funnels leaning in one direction as the stern settled back.

Chris cameron

Jul 4, 2016
Then why were there a good number of survivors that specifically place the break up at after the third funnel.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I’d guess that to some people, their left side of the third funnel was the front of the funnel and others, it was the right side. Not everyone realized that the stern was considered the “back” of the ship.

Chris cameron

Jul 4, 2016
So basically it was both in forward and aft of the third funnel? I think we have discussed this before and we both came to agree that Parks Stephenson depiction in "more questions than answers" explained what they saw. Did you notice a pattern of of where witnesses place the break up to there location?

Last edited:

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Parks directed the 2012 animation shown above. Scientific analysis pinpoints the break just before the third funnel which matches up with Jack Thayer’s account, thus leading me to believe that it split apart in that exact spot.

Seungho Kang

Mar 5, 2019
South Korea
Then why were there a good number of survivors that specifically place the break up at after the third funnel.
I think the fall of the third funnel happening right after the breakup caused the survivors to think that way. The 4th funnel still remains fallen on the boat deck, and is clearly visible unlike the 3rd, which is already underwater or out of sight from the survivors.
Also, most of the lifeboats are facing the stern, and the 3rd funnel uptake and deckhouse is barely noticeable when the ship broke, so its easy to assume that the ship broke aft of the 3rd funnel.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I think the fall of the third funnel happening right after the breakup caused the survivors to think that way. The 4th funnel still remains fallen on the boat deck, and is clearly visible unlike the 3rd, which is already underwater or out of sight from the survivors.
How do you know it remains fallen on deck? No survivor I know mentioned it.

Also, most of the lifeboats are facing the stern, and the 3rd funnel uptake and deckhouse is barely noticeable when the ship broke, so its easy to assume that the ship broke aft of the 3rd funnel.
Most of the boats were rowing towards the light in the north and were not facing the stern.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I don’t remember who it was, but someone had recalled seeing the engines or some sort of machinery sliding from the stern into the bow during the break. This very well could have looked like a chunk of the stern falling off into the water (hence the two breaks).

Reactions: 1 user