What goes wrong on Ferries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi All,

What is it about Ferries, why do they keep on getting into trouble. While I was on a ship in Syros - one of the Greek Islands - the Ferry from Pireaus never made it to our Island, she was bloody close though -

85181.jpg

I suspect the comments on the bridge were something like "Who the hell moved that damn breakwater" (Any one else like to contribute a caption??)

The weather was clear, a stiff breeze, nothing more and this happens. Luckily no-one was hurt and all the passengers were OK. It was a fairly modern ship by the looks of it. she had radar and the lights on the breakwater were working. or at least they were when I turned in that night.

Why does it happen - complacency, bad seamanship, a combination of both? Whatever the reason it carries on and on and .....

Just to let you know this happened in the 80's, about 84 I think.

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

A

Andrew Johnston

1)Carelessness of work
2)Poorly maintained mechanicals and fundamentals
<interior>
3)Terrorism
4)...............etc.............?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'd put money on options 1 and 2, but don't forget to factor poor crew training into the mix and a willingness to fill these things like sardine cans as well as do something really stupid. Like set off while overcrowded in the teeth of some really bad storms. This seems to happen in Bangladesh all the time.

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
Also, ferries are smaller than cruise ships and therefore minor incidents that happen to bigger ships would be catastrophic on a ferry.

--------------------
"What do you see?"-Sixth Officer James Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.