What good regulations were put in place after the sinking?

Feb 2, 2021
I know the Ice Patrol was formed, 24 hour wireless and lifeboat drills. I'm giving a talk soon and would like to focus on the positive. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 26, 2021
I know the Ice Patrol was formed, 24 hour wireless and lifeboat drills. I'm giving a talk soon and would like to focus on the positive. Thank you!
Don't forget that more than enough lifeboats for everyone on board also happened. Also "Women and Children First" became quite unpopular afterwards

joyeberry

Feb 17, 2020
I'm sure you've already given your talk, but at the end of the Night to Remember movie, they outline several huge changes made after the sinking, noting that "their sacrifice was not in vain." It is so tragic, but you're right that some pretty major safety regulations came out of it.

RiffRanger

Aug 5, 2021
Akron, Ohio
I'm sure you've already given your talk, but at the end of the Night to Remember movie, they outline several huge changes made after the sinking, noting that "their sacrifice was not in vain." It is so tragic, but you're right that some pretty major safety regulations came out of it.

Ultimately, the Titanic was disaster that was destined to happen given the ludicrously archaic regulations and, sadly, needed to happen to change them. If it hadn't been the Titanic, there's no doubt some ship would have ended up suffering that fate.

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Prior to the Titanic, they thought a rescue ship would arrive in time and lifeboats were for transferring people from one ship to the other. They eventually improved on lifeboats and provisions in each lifeboat to make it more survivable for more extended periods of time. I believe this was much more gradual than some of the other things like increasing the number of boats or providing 24/7 radio coverage.

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
Had the safety regulations improved by 1927! Looking through a family history book I came cross where a distance relative Doris & Henry Portlock sailing on this ship Principessa Mafalda when she sank and were saved. Regarded as the Italian Titanic disaster. Resulting in 314 would lose their lives. Yet there where enough lifeboats and nearly five hours to so. The lifeboat drill was in chaos contributing to many lives lost. P1010563.JPGP1010564.JPG

joyeberry

Feb 17, 2020
Ultimately, the Titanic was disaster that was destined to happen given the ludicrously archaic regulations and, sadly, needed to happen to change them. If it hadn't been the Titanic, there's no doubt some ship would have ended up suffering that fate.
I think you're right. The lifeboat situation obviously needed amending and the Marconi wireless was too new to be ubiquitous. The sinking certainly seems to have had a "let's get this ironed out now" affect on people.

Nov 14, 2005
While not a regulation it seems from various sources I've read Titanic was responsible for giving the development of sonar a kick start. I learned something new today. Quote from article. Cheers.

Ironically, the first steps in expanding underwater archaeology to the depths were propelled by the Titanic disaster itself, as the first sonar systems were developed and tested after the sinking to locate and avoid icebergs.​