What happen to Jack Dawson

• Thread starter Deirdre Elliott
  • Start date

D

Deirdre Elliott

Hi I'm Dee-Dee,
I am doing a research paper for school on the Titanic. I am having a BIG problem. While researching and reading books, the name Jack Dawson has never been mentioned. In the movie, as it was being told, that's who saved Rose. At the end, she said he was lost at sea and his body was never recovered. What isn't he mention in none of the researching I am doing? Somebody, anybody please help!!!!!

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Dee Dee,

I'm very sorry to burst your bubble (and 90% of schoolgirls across the country), but Jack Dawson wasn't real, he was an invention of James Cameron to make a more dramatic plot. Rose wasn't real, neither was her mother or Cal. Fabrizio and Tommy weren't real either. People who were real that appeared in the movie included Bruce Ismay (he wasn't as cowardly and snobby as he was shown to be), Thomas Andrews, the Captain (of course), all the officers, Molly Brown (she was never was actually called Molly), the Astors, Col. Gracie (the plump fellow that said "Perhaps a little something for the boy?"), and all the people that were on the expedition. While Jack Dawson was fake, there was a James Dawson on board, but he was a trimmer (they are the people who shovel the coal).

There was a similar story that actually happened. Kate Phillips, 19, ran off to elope with 39 year old Henry Morley (a wealthy married English business man). They traveled on Titanic in second class and went under assumed names (the "Marshalls"). Shortly before the sailing, he bought her a large sapphire necklace. It was called "l'Amour de le Mer," or the The Love of the Ocean. It was nothing near the size of the movie necklace (also not real). The necklace was recovered and in with the traveling exhibit. Henry died, while Kate escaped on lifeboat 11.

Hope this helps,

David

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
He went off and made another movie!

About ten of the characters in Cameron's film are totally fictitious. They include Rose, Jack, Cal, Rose's mother, Lovejoy, Fabrizio and several minor Irish and Swedish characters. They occasionally interact with real people, including Margaret Brown, Bruce Ismay, Thomas Andrews, Colonel Gracie, The Countess of Rothes and, very controversially, First Officer Murdoch.

A man named J Dawson really was on board, though Cameron says he did not know this at the time he made the film. In 1997 Dawson's grave in Halifax was besieged by lovesick girls, who rather trashed the place. On this site you can read the story of the real J Dawson, whose name turned out to be Joseph.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Another interesting point about Mr. Morley and Miss Phillips is that a few weeks later, Kate found out that she was pregnant. Her daughter was born in January 1913-nine months after the sinking.

David

May 12, 2005
What happen to Jack Dawson?

Well, uh, I heard that, uh, there was this, uh, boat - yeah, like a really really big boat - and Jack was like on that boat and it was like a long time ago and this boat was real fancy and stuff but he was poor and so he was with the, uh, poor people in the poor section (they called it "stewage" or something like that) and so, uh, after the boat hit this like really huge icebird (or whatever it's called), they were like getting people off in these little life-rafts and stuff but there wasn't room so they let the rich people off first - which was like so lame and not fair at all - and so he did not get to get off in a raft and was like left on the boat with a lot of other, uh, like really upset people, and when the boat sank so many of them died and, uh, this was very sad - but saddest of all was like Jack died and this was just not a fair thing for the director to do because, uh, he was just too cute to be killed off like that but anyway, uh, that's what happen to Jack Dawson...

- 14-Year-Old "Jack Dawson" Fan Standing In For Like That Randy Guy Who Talks About Fashion And Stuff Like Way Too Much But He's Like, Uh, Kind Of Cool Sometimes So It's OK.

(THIS IS ONLY MEANT AS A JOKE AND NOT TO HURT FEELINGS: ONE MUST ALWAYS CLARIFY THESE THINGS, NOW, I GUESS. I JUST COULDN'T RESIST A LITTLE "SNL" HUMOR)

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Aww Randy!

Cut it out OM!!
happy.gif

Sense of humour aside (and it can be excused when you see some of the stuff posted on this board!), I reckon Dee-Dee has put a lot of work into a subject she may know little of, and I also think that because she went to the trouble of logging on here and not just putting a message in to the guestbook, it shows that she is working hard and learning along away.

Fair play to you Dee-Dee

Hope you learn what you need to know!

(Ps........... Kind regards to Mr. Bigham, y'big cynic ye!!!

Sam

May 12, 2005
I promise it wasn't directed to Dee-Dee whose interest I'm sure is genuine but more on the silly types we all know or know of. No offense Dee-Dee.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
HUGE CORRECTION!!!

I said in an above post that the expedition team in the movie were real people. NOT true! They were also fictional. Sorry for any confusion, Dee Dee. And I also forgot to mention that Lovejoy (Cal's valet) was fictional as well as Trudy, Rose's maid.

David

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
One small point. The Morley necklace was not recovered. It left with Miss Phillips in a lifeboat. When I last heard of it, it was part of a jewellery exhibition in the US, not a Titanic exhibition.