1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to all the Titanic design resources?

Discussion in 'Plans Specifications' started by CollinSearls, Sep 11, 2018.

1. CollinSearls

CollinSearls Member

Throughout working on my 3D model, it feels like it's been a bit of a struggle to find more than some general documentation on the design of the ship. Every once in a while, I see a post from a few years ago saying something along the lines of "I got most of my info from -link-!" or "For more info on this topic, check out -link-!" and it seems more often than not that link leads to a dead/broken page. Are there just not as many resources for Titanic design knowledge anymore?

2. A. Gabriel

A. Gabriel Member

I think it has to do with the loss of the ‘old guard’, so to speak. The veterans of Titanica, the past generation of rivet counters, seems either to be dying out or otherwise sailing into fairer seas than the waters you encounter in the Titanic community. Two examples I can think of right off the bat include Roy Mengot (R.I.P.) and Bob Read (who has ceased operations for those incredibly useful Titanic CAD plans).

Titanic it seems does not give up her secrets easily, and there are so many different plans and resources I’m looking for myself that are proving irritatingly out of reach. Oh to have a source of income already...

3. Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner Member

Hi Collin,
    Have you tried the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum Belfast.
    It's thanks for Tom McCluskie whom work for H&W was to save the Titanic drawings from the skip! and had them transported to the museum.