What happened to Ruth

Johan Jonsson

Apr 4, 2005
I think that Ruth lived quite a wealthy life after the sinking. I bet she made a little fortune out of claiming insurance for loss of missing goods, physical suffering etc... But who knows... and THANK GOD that there will not be a "Titanic 2"!!

Jun 12, 2004
>>and THANK GOD that there will not be a "Titanic 2"!!<<

Johan,

I just said that I remembered having read this somewhere before, I never said it was true.

By the way, do you have some evidence to confirm this? I would surely like to read it. Thanks.

Take care

--Mark

Mar 17, 2008
Does anyone have any ideas about what happened to Ruth after Titanic? Wondering if she ever knew that Rose survived the disaster and did she manage to remain in high society? By the way, has anyone ever read the book "Ruth`s crossing"? it is a good read but one mistake, Molly Brown is mentioned to be alive in 1955 but in reality she died in 1932!!

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
You do know that Ruth DeWitt Bukater is a fictional depiction of the classic stereotype of an Edwardian woman, don't you? She never actually existed, and if there are novels about this certain person, they are fictional, too. Rose is also fictional. Anyway, just thought you ought to know.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I didn't say that you had to believe that the characters were real. I was just making sure Martin knew. He seemed kind of serious. Here, this will show that I can have fun with fictional characters.

Ruth DeWitt Bukater survived the Titanic. She went on to marry "new money." She ended up living her life as she wanted to. She never forgot her daughter that "died" on the Titanic and viewed poorer people in a new light. She joined Molly in all her endeavors, and she helped the families of the victims. She died in 1943, in the midst of the Second World War, a well-known and well-loved person.

How's that, Bob?
happy.gif
. I didn't result to the cliched ending, as many think Ruth ended up as a seamstress. See?! I can have fun speculating about Ruth's future.

May 3, 2005
In view of Ben Lemmon's account of Ruth, I don't think she would have been all that upset about Cal's demise in 1929. :)

I've written about Rose in another previous thread. See "Grand Daughter Lizzy."

[Moderator's Note: This message and the four immediately above it were originally a new thread. They have been moved to this old thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

So, I know that this is a fictional story. Stupid in parts. But I am fascinated by the story of Rose's mother. She's obviously a woman with her back up against the wall, whoring her daughter out to pay off bad debts. That's a more interesting story than Jack and Rose's by far.

Whatcha think? Did Cal take care of her? Or did she become the seamstress she was scared of becoming?

Thoughts? Joking and snarky comments aside?

Mar 3, 2010
I don't know, I always figured she and Rose eventually made up, and she getting re-married.

[Moderator's note: This message and the one immediately above it, originally a separate thread, have been moved to this pre-exiting thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

S

SmileyGirl

Cal didn't commit suicide after the crash of 1929. Ruth shot him and put the gun in his hand to make it look like that.
As someone mentioned, Rose and Ruth got back together and made up. When Rose told Ruth what a Cad Cal was, Ruth decided to take a gun and even things up . That was the reason Ruth shot Cal.

I couldn't resist this bit of fiction. How did young Rose who later became old Rose or Mrs. Ben Calvert meet and marry Ben Calvert ? More later. Stay tuned. Soap Opera to follow..LOL
I may have covered this before.
Oh I like the idea that Ruth shot Cal! :D

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
((This in turn would mean they did continue to communicate, at least for a time. I could then see Cal dropping out of her life entirely by mid-1913, if not earlier. Ruth would attempt to ration the money she'd been given by him, and would have to take on a minimum-wage job (probably as a seamstress) in order to help make ends meet. ))

The middle of 1913 seems a little of for financial need Cal would've given Ruth. I see her giving help too, but much longer than that. I would believe Ruth would have a trial and fail. I would also come to a conclusion that if Cal ever stopped supporting her it would be through the late 1910s into WW1,if not later.

Giwu

Jan 4, 2019
Mine is just conjecture (about a fictional character). I believe she filed a hefty insurance claim and possibly/probably had life insurance on Rose. She was able to maintain her lifestyle and died before the crash of 1929.

May 3, 2005
Cal didn't commit suicide after the crash of 1929. Ruth shot him and put the gun in his hand to make it look like that.
As someone mentioned, Rose and Ruth got back together and made up. When Rose told Ruth what a Cad Cal was, Ruth decided to take a gun and even things up . That was the reason Ruth shot Cal.

I couldn't resist this bit of fiction. How did young Rose who later became old Rose or Mrs. Ben Calvert meet and marry Ben Calvert ? More later. Stay tuned. Soap Opera to follow..LOL
I may have covered this before.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2002
Hey Everyone,

Its been a LONG time since Ive posted but here we go. What do you all think happened to Ruth after the sinking. All her money was gone! Do you think she lived off of friends, sold her furniture etc., became a seamstress? I wonder if she and Cal talked to one another after that night. Please tell me what you think! Thanks!

Jun 12, 2004
I asked that, too, but the only response I got was that she became a seamstress, as she feared she would, although that is just conjecture. I'd be interested in getting an inside tip as to what happened. I also thought that her fate was suspended because she might have been scheduled to appear as Ruth again in what I heard would be Titanic 2, which, according to hearsay, was expected to take place aboard the Britannic. Still, your guess is as good as mine.

Apr 22, 2012
Neat idea, Sahand. Several possibilities come to mind. I could see her becoming a seamstress, or taking on a similar minimum-wage occupation.

I could also see Cal helping her out financially sometime right after the sinking, as she lost so much when the ship went down (including, in their minds at least, her daughter Rose). This in turn would mean they did continue to communicate, at least for a time. I could then see Cal dropping out of her life entirely by mid-1913, if not earlier. Ruth would attempt to ration the money she'd been given by him, and would have to take on a minimum-wage job (probably as a seamstress) in order to help make ends meet.

Least likely of all, I could see Ruth herself marrying a wealthy man and continuing to live high on the hog.

Just some thoughts.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>I could also see Cal helping her out financially sometime right after the sinking, as she lost so much when the ship went down (including, in their minds at least, her daughter Rose).<<

Would he, considering his character and since he had already lost his fiancee why help?

Jan 29, 2005
I always thought that when she arrived in America that Ruth DeWitt Bukater would file a massive lawsuit against the White Star Line claiming atleast a million dollars for loss of property and Rose.

Reactions: Giwu

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I can't see Cal helping Ruth at all. There was nothing in it for him. Besides, she had probably become a blathering nuisance of self-pity for losing her meal-ticket...er, I mean daughter. No doubt they had to put her away in an institution. She had lost everything anyway, including her mind.

Kyrila