What Happened to Titanic's Compass Tower?

Hello. I'm trying to find out what happened to Titanic's Compass Tower/Platform, which was located atop the First Class Lounge Roof on A-Deck.
Picture:
1604208008630.png

In the 1986 Titanic Mosaic, the Platform is gone.
1604208503871.png

Where did it go?? Wouldn't it be firmly bolted to the Lounge's Roof? Has any wreckage looking like the Platform been located?

Hello. I'm trying to find out what happened to Titanic's Compass Tower/Platform, which was located atop the First Class Lounge Roof on A-Deck.
Picture:
View attachment 72972

In the 1986 Titanic Mosaic, the Platform is gone.
View attachment 72973

Where did it go?? Wouldn't it be firmly bolted to the Lounge's Roof? Has any wreckage looking like the Platform been located?
If it didn't come apart from the ship breaking up I would say from the way it looks constructed it probably came apart on her glide to the bottom. Of all the docu's I've seen I don't recall it ever being mentioned. But it is mentioned on this site.

Reactions: 1 user
If it didn't come apart from the ship breaking up I would say from the way it looks constructed it probably came apart on her glide to the bottom. Of all the docu's I've seen I don't recall it ever being mentioned. But it is mentioned on this site.
Hmmm..so it'd probably be in the trail of Debris between the Stern and Bow, perhaps?
or maybe at the bottom of the Bow, by the Boilers. Will check the NOAA footage.

Hi Cam. I take your point what has happen to the outside compass and platform. The photo shown is the Olympic as shown in the book TITANIC or OLYMPIC: WHICH SHIP SANK? However the Titanic compass was in the same place and probably well rusted away by now.

Hi Cam. I take your point what has happen to the outside compass and platform. The photo shown is the Olympic as shown in the book TITANIC or OLYMPIC: WHICH SHIP SANK? However the Titanic compass was in the same place and probably well rusted away by now.
oh, whoops. I remember reading Ballard's "Exploring the Titanic" seeing a pic of it, but I couldn't find it..

That would be interesting to know. But was it made of wood or steel or both ? If it is of wood, then, the matter is settled ! But if it was of steel maybe it could have survived. Is there someone here that had ever dived to the wreck, as I think ? Maybe they will be able to answer. :)

Reactions: 1 users
That would be interesting to know. But was it made of wood or steel or both ? If it is of wood, then, the matter is settled ! But if it was of steel maybe it could have survived. Is there someone here that had ever dived to the wreck, as I think ? Maybe they will be able to answer. :)
There are some!! But they do t come here often, sadly.

According to this site its says its never been found. Also if you click on the pics to get the bigger ones it looks like it is made of stretched canvas around the corner poles. That might make sense as they would probably want as little metal around it as possible to help with interference. And in the rendered picture of the compass it shows it mounted on wood. But I don't know if that's accurate. And the canvas is speculation on my part. You can have a look and see what you think. Later.

If one looks at the compass platform photos in the TITANIC The Ship Magnificent book. It show metal tubes legs with a platform and four wooden teak extension on the four corners where a canvas sheet is folded around them. It wouldn't surprise me if the platform wasn't wood either to. The designed is very similar as used on other WSL ships to. I cant imagine over time any of that has survived. May be there a chance some parts of the compass might of survived been made from more durable materials.

Reactions: 2 users
If one looks at the compass platform photos in the TITANIC The Ship Magnificent book. It show metal tubes legs with a platform and four wooden teak extension on the four corners where a canvas sheet is folded around them. It wouldn't surprise me if the platform wasn't wood either to. The designed is very similar as used on other WSL ships to. I cant imagine over time any of that has survived. May be there a chance some parts of the compass might of survived been made from more durable materials.
Thanks for the info. I really need to stop messing around and order that book. Cheers.

Wasn’t that Olympic’s Official name “The ship Magnificent,” besides Old Reliable?
I don't recall her being refered to that. But I don't know. I'm sure someone here knows the answer to that. What I do know is ships often had more than one nickname. Some good and some pretty bad which I didn't care for. But I always heard "Old Reliable" for the Olympic.

I don't recall her being refered to that. But I don't know. I'm sure someone here knows the answer to that. What I do know is ships often had more than one nickname. Some good and some pretty bad which I didn't care for. But I always heard "Old Reliable" for the Olympic.
The Queen of Seas was used for both ships.