What if it happened to Olympic

T

Trevor Rommelley

...but wasn't the Titanic paid for with American cash, from JP Morgan? She was therefore an American ship!

A

Alyson Jones

Yes sure was payed by American money but Bruce Ismay (Engish man)put rules down before the ship was built.Why do you think Titanic is called RMS Titanic?Cause she is a British ship=ROYAL mail ship or steamer.Are you having me on here, I think you just said that to get me going lol.Did you read my post above you're post,which it states some facts that a ship does not have to be built in the country of orgin to be classed as one of there own.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
As I understand it, the Morgan combine was an Anglo-American undertaking with major shareholders on both sides of the Atlantic. If British and American (or indeed any other) investors were putting money into the International Mercantile Marine Company, it would not be entirely correct to say that the Titanic was paid for by American money. More likely J.P.Morgan was investing in the White Star Line and other British shipping companies because they were highly profitable ventures.

A

Alyson Jones

When i first found out about the Titanic, i fell in to that trap aswell,thinking Titanic was an American ship.Until i found out on an documentry then i look on the net,then i found out the real truth.

Allen R. Hall

Jan 22, 2011
I was under the impression that the IMM flat-out owned White Star, which would make her, if you really wanted to be technical, an American ship?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
IMM flat-out owned White Star

Indirectly, Allen. IMM (a publicly-owned company incorporated in New Jersey), owned 100% of the stock of International Navigation Co., Ltd., a British corporation which in turn owned 100% of the stock of Oceanic Steam Navigation Co., Ltd.

White Star's ships, though, remained British-registered, manned by British officers and subject to requisition by the British Admiralty and not the U.S, Navy in time of war. Regardless of where IMM was incorporated, White Star's ships were British.