What if shallower water

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke holbrook

Aug 9, 2006
I come up with a rather silly idea but i think ill post it. What if the titanic hit the iceberg in more shallow water. If the ship hit the iceberg in shallower water and had an anchor at the back of the ship then maybe it would have helped to keep the ship afloat longer. They could have lowered the anchor ( if it was long enough ) to keep the stern in the water and stopped the stern from breaking off and maybe kept her from sinking faster if at all......... so what do you think?

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in another topic has been moved to here. JDT]

J

Jon Meadows

If they anchored the stern to keep it from rising, it would have just continued to settle in the water rather than lifting up (and then where would Barbara Stanwyck, James Cameron or Kenneth Moore be without such a picturesque sinking). Plus, in shallower water, she'd be plundered and picked clean like a turkey at Thanksgiving.

She was determined to sink. In 12,000 feet or in 1 foot of water. She'd have hit the bottom one way or another.

Dec 3, 2005
I imagine the anchor chain would break if the kedge anchor snagged on the bottom while the stern was rising. It takes a tremendous amount of force to lever a ship up like that. Probably more than the links could take.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What if the titanic hit the iceberg in more shallow water.<<

She didn't.

Nor did she have an anchor fitted to the stern. Even if she had, it's presence would have done nothing to stop the ingress of water inside the hull. If you want to stop the ship from sinking, this is what you have to deal with.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Mike, the Titanic did have a stream anchor at the stern, as required I think by regulations. Not that it would have been any more use than an ashtray on a Harley-Davidson.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Mike, the Titanic did have a stream anchor at the stern,<<

If I recall correctly, this anchor was something that was stowed someplace that was really useless. I tried to find a photo of it in Bruce Beveridge's and Steve Hall's conspiracy book and couldn't find it. Be that as it may I agree that it was little more then ornamentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.