What if the Olympic wasn't scrapped in 1935?

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
The breakers yard kept many men employed for the metal work of Olympic and went on to be recycled for other uses. However not all Olympic is lost as those very fine hand made wooden panels from the first class sections are very much a live to day at the White Swan Hotel Alnwick Town North East of England.

Kreachie

Jul 23, 2021
The Primary Universe
If Olympic was saved, I doubt she would be so so under Cunard-White Star, there were actually plans for a French company to buy her in the 1930's and turn her into a Hotel, but those plans fell through,

If the plans were successful, I can see Olympic spending her first few years in France as a Shelter for those out of work that had also lost their homes, I bet She'd make a pretty good one, and it could provide Employment to some of the people for upkeep and housing, Also when WW2 began, I don't think her owners, or the city she as based in, would've stood by and let her be taken and probably be scrapped by the Nazi's for War Material, I think she would've been restored to Seaworthy Status, Been Refueled with Spare Oil, and made an Escape Back to Britain, Possibly carrying Jewish Refugees aboard. Also I can see her getting requisitioned once again as a Troopship when she gets home and serving alongside Queen Mary, and I bet she would've even been Present at Dunkirk, where she would've likely received Retreating soldiers from Several Small boats, possibly one of them being the Sundowner, the Yacht owned by Charles Lightoller, who was the 2nd Officer on The Titanic and also the Senior-most serving officer of the Disaster, after the fact as Captain Edward J. Smith and First Officer William M. Murdoch were both killed in her sinking, I can imagine Lightoller after making it back to England with His own Ship and Olympic, boarded her one last time and reminisced about being an officer aboard her running mates and her little Sister.

After the War She would've probably returned to France, Resting out a Quiet life as a Hotel, and would Most likely have her interiors used in "A Night to Remember" Which in turn would attract Guests to Olympic following the film's release and popularity.

Another boom in Guests to Olympic would Surge not yet in 1985, but actually 10 years EARLIER in 1975 When the wreck of Her and Titanic's Youngest sister would be Discovered by Jacques Cousteau off the Coast of Greece, The H.M.H.S. Britannic, Which on November 21, 1916 while serving as a Hospital ship, Struck a Mine in the Aegean Sea off the coast of the Greek island of Kea, which lead to her sharing the same fate as her older sister.

Britannic Never got the chance to become an Ocean Liner, WW1 broke out mere months after she launched and, upon being certified as Seaworthy, was requisitioned as a Hospital, So I can imagine in honor of that event, Olympic would wear the livery of her youngest sister for a couple months after her discovery, All white, with Green Stripe, Broken up by 3 Red Crosses.

in 1985 she would've indeed see a larger boom in Visitors because of the Titanic wreck, and would even possibly Bear Titanic's name on her Nameplate on the Dock facing side of her Hull in Honor of her discovery.

in 1997 she would indeed be used for the Filming of Titanic, although She would be substituted for the miniature when it came to the Scenes of Titanic Sinking and a Movable Fake ship stern, modeled off of Olympic's, would be used to Film the Final Plunge scene.

For Titanic's hundred year Anniversary, And subsequently her 101st Birthday, Her and the Nomadic, Being the Only White Star Line Tender left, Would be Bought by the City of Belfast and Both would be sailed to there to be Permanently Dry-docked alongside eachother, and used as Pieces for the Titanic Museum, and Once again, Olympic would Bear Titanic's name, Except This time, on the whole ship, before Making the trip to England, and would keep the name for the rest of the Year.

Once there, Not only would Olympic be a Museum piece, But a functional hotel too, where guests could spend the night if they wished inf genuine White-Star-Line Suites and Cabins, I bet She would've made a Beautiful Relic of Titanic had those plans not fallen through.

Edit: Before you ask about my location, I Signed in using twitter and I didn't want my location to be known, Also I used to RP on my Twitter, Please don't judge me.

Last edited:

dockeen

Jul 21, 2020
Florida Panhandle
OK, this is obviously something of a fantasy, please bear with me. The Olympic was sold for scrapping, which made a lot of jobs at a time they were needed badly. But suppose there was out there a man of incredible wealth who decides that he wants to preserve the Olympic.....for a museum, for their personal one ship liner company, perhaps even for his own huge, utterly impractical yacht. Would the British government / the ownership at the time have allowed such an individual to purchase her, assuming that "Crazy Rich Man" could and would pay in cash and obviously had the means to take care of her? Or would "the powers that be" declare that ocean liners are never to be sold to individuals, no matter what means they have, or what theya re willing to pay? These questions are some combination of personal interest and research for a story I will probably never write.

Kreachie

Jul 23, 2021
The Primary Universe
OK, this is obviously something of a fantasy, please bear with me. The Olympic was sold for scrapping, which made a lot of jobs at a time they were needed badly. But suppose there was out there a man of incredible wealth who decides that he wants to preserve the Olympic.....for a museum, for their personal one ship liner company, perhaps even for his own huge, utterly impractical yacht. Would the British government / the ownership at the time have allowed such an individual to purchase her, assuming that "Crazy Rich Man" could and would pay in cash and obviously had the means to take care of her? Or would "the powers that be" declare that ocean liners are never to be sold to individuals, no matter what means they have, or what theya re willing to pay? These questions are some combination of personal interest and research for a story I will probably never write.
I'd highly doubt that, Not only because of the Time period That it was, because during the 1930's The Great Depression was gripping the Globe Hard, and Most men who could Could've done that originally would probably have never been able to do so then,

If Someone did turn up, I doubt they would've bought her anyway, because what use would she've had in the life of one such individual, I doubt he would've taken her for pleasure cruising, The only reasons I could see him trying to Buy Olympic are either:

1. Start his own Cruising/Ocean-Liner Company

or 2. Preserve her as a Museum or Hotel Similar to what I think would've happened and have actually posted about in this thread previously.