What if the Olympic wasn't scrapped in 1935?

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

It was a shame that the Olmpic got the chop, It was the Titanic that got the chop, The great insurance fruad that the white Star Line did, was to swap ships and change the names on the ships and today no one knew what white star did, thats why it was going to fast because the captain had to crash it to get the insurance from the surposed Titanic, The captain had crashed the Olmpic because he has had too many crashes with other ships and would cost too much to fix it, and thats why they swaped ships,. Interesting,.
Sorry, but that is not a true story. It would have been impossible at that late stage in the building for a swop to have taken place.

Sam Brannigan

Sam Brannigan

It was a shame that the Olmpic got the chop, It was the Titanic that got the chop, The great insurance fruad that the white Star Line did, was to swap ships and change the names on the ships and today no one knew what white star did, thats why it was going to fast because the captain had to crash it to get the insurance from the surposed Titanic, The captain had crashed the Olmpic because he has had too many crashes with other ships and would cost too much to fix it, and thats why they swaped ships,. Interesting,.
Hi Ms King, welcome to the forum.

Everything you have claimed is untrue, and has been proved to be untrue. I would recommend you follow this link to the website of one of the most respected Titanic historians, then download and read his dissertation on the switch theory.

Although at first it's understandable and exciting to believe the conspiracies around the ship, it's so much more fun and richly rewarding to be rational, careful and well-informed about the actual story of the Titanic - there is a whole community here which is happy to help you learn about her history.

M

ms King

Hello when the two ships had been built, Olmpic was the first ship to be sail and the Captain had had a number of crushes with other ships,with the Olmpic, Titanic was in the finale stages of being fineshed, it was going to cost to much to fix the Olmpic, and it was then that they swaped the ships, the ships where together in the Harland and Wolffe bay, the two ships looked so alike that no one would know, they pached up the Olmpic and it set sail for America, Cameran had gone down to look at Olmpic/ Titanic, and said there was so much damage on the left side a big Hole the size of a mini bus that Cameran could not explain, there was a program about the swap looking at the side of Olmpic which had been patched up you could see it, that is the reason you dont believe me it because it was a kept secret, Please do your own investigations, and tell me what you think, Mary,.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hello when the two ships had been built, Olmpic was the first ship to be sail and the Captain had had a number of crushes with other ships,with the Olmpic, Titanic was in the finale stages of being fineshed, it was going to cost to much to fix the Olmpic, and it was then that they swaped the ships, the ships where together in the Harland and Wolffe bay, the two ships looked so alike that no one would know, they pached up the Olmpic and it set sail for America, Cameran had gone down to look at Olmpic/ Titanic, and said there was so much damage on the left side a big Hole the size of a mini bus that Cameran could not explain, there was a program about the swap looking at the side of Olmpic which had been patched up you could see it, that is the reason you dont believe me it because it was a kept secret, Please do your own investigations, and tell me what you think, Mary,.
This is utter nonsense and has been disproven many times over. You'll find yourself in the minority here. I recommend you purchase a copy of the book "Which Ship Sank" by Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall. They debunk the theory, that a switch was not possible. During the 1996 expedition to the wreck, the letters on the bow were found to be readable and they spell out T I T A N I C.

Plus many artifacts have been salvaged with the hull number 401 on them, which was Titanic's. Olympic's hull number was 400. So none of us needs to do any investigations, as it has already been done and found to be complete rubbish.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Plus it should be noted for the umpteenth time, that this so called conspiracy theory (which is not a theory at all), was invented by an author just to sell books to make money. That should tell everything you need to know.

Seumas

Seumas

You could at the very least have tried to get the name of the ship right.

Olympic.

This is utter nonsense and has been disproven many times over. You'll find yourself in the minority here. I recommend you purchase a copy of the book "Which Ship Sank" by Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall. They debunk the theory, that a switch was not possible. During the 1996 expedition to the wreck, the letters on the bow were found to be readable and they spell out T I T A N I C.

Plus many artifacts have been salvaged with the hull number 401 on them, which was Titanic's. Olympic's hull number was 400. So none of us needs to do any investigations, as it has already been done and found to be complete rubbish.
Hi Ms King, welcome to the forum.

Everything you have claimed is untrue, and has been proved to be untrue. I would recommend you follow this link to the website of one of the most respected Titanic historians, then download and read his dissertation on the switch theory.

Although at first it's understandable and exciting to believe the conspiracies around the ship, it's so much more fun and richly rewarding to be rational, careful and well-informed about the actual story of the Titanic - there is a whole community here which is happy to help you learn about her history.
Two admirably polite responses there, Sam and Jason. ;)

It's sad that some people still fall for Robin Gardiner's bilge. Wonder how much money he made out of those two god awful books ?

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

Hello again, Mary.

It's easy to rubbish something or be swayed by clever talk

Perhaps you did not know it, but every British merchant ship is like most of us, in that it has a "Birth Certificate" and a unique 'fingerprint' that can never be changed. and it is exhibited to the authorities at every port of call if required.
The Captain of the ship keeps the Certificate in his safe and the unique ' signature' is carved into a very specific place on the ship, called the 'Main Beam'. The Registry of (ship) Births also keeps a copy.
Additionally - the creation of a ship is a very long process. During that time, many Inspectors and Surveyors from different Government departments and insurance Underwriters visit several times and sign-off parts of the process.
To hide a ship's true identity would be impossible. It woyld also nullify any form of insurance.

Travis Hawkins

Travis Hawkins

"We're stopped and blowing off steam."
So, to actually respond to the original topic:

The oldest passenger-carrying ship I can think of that's still seaworthy today (though not in service at the moment, thanks to COVID bankrupting its last operator) is the cruise ship Astoria, AKA the former MS Stockholm that sank the Andrea Doria in the 1950s. Keeping this comparatively small ship in service up to the last couple of years required it to be completely overhauled as a cruise ship in the 90s, and I really couldn't see anyone giving a ship as big and as old as the Olympic class vessels the same treatment.

As for in-place preservation? You'd probably have to dry-dock the thing to keep it around. The Queen Mary going through multiple owner bankruptcies, followed by a takeover from its city government, is showing us in real time why we don't see a ton of old ships preserved on the water, as it's barely afloat at the moment. Same goes for other relatively famous ships like the SS United States, which requires a lot of donations just to keep moored at its current dock. I don't know if the Olympic would even have enough public interest to do that.

tl;dr: all float and no pay makes Olympic a dull girl

HSRP131346-Olympic

HSRP131346-Olympic

The only viable thing that could have been done is build a brand new one for money making service. It’ll never happen though.