What is a Titanic movie

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
What is a Titanic movie?

Is it judged by the size of the budget, or the musical score?
Do we ask how accurate it is and by whose account?

Movies from the past are easy to bracket, just pay your money and take your seat.

However entertainment is changing, music is now released to download; movies are also posted all over net.

This entire site is a testimony to like minded people wishing to freely contribute their efforts and knowledge.

Movies are no longer the soul franchise of the big movie moguls, there is some great work out there by single individuals who wish to add to the experience.

Try this link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i8HOpOhofKE

Or have the best movies already been made?

Derek.

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
A movie is no more than a collection of images, from some persons perspective of mind, unless you use real footage (of the Titanic, of which there is only a few seconds) which has never been placed in an acknowledged movie that I know.

If the site ‘Titanica’ made a movie would it be the best, the biggest, devoid of romanticism or the most accurate?

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
>>If the site ‘Titanica’ made a movie would it be the best, the biggest, devoid of romanticism or the most accurate?<<

Would it be the most accurate? - Most likely.

Would it be devoid of romanticism? - Maybe.

The Biggest? - Again Maybe.

Would it be the best? - That is a matter of opinion. Each person has a unique interest in the Titanic. Some are interested in the story, some are interested in the 'Californian Incident, and there are the 'Techies' as well. They all have a different idea of what is the "Best".

May 3, 2005
This has probably been covered in other threads, but IMHO, at least three "Titanic" movies have their good points.:

"A Night To Remember" (1957). Arguably the most authentic considering the information that was available at the time.

"Titanic" (1997). Arguably the best use of sets, special effects and color.

"Titanic" (1953). Arguably the most believable "boy meets girl" subplot...and the dialogue between Webb and Stanwyck.

>>If the site ‘Titanica’ made a movie would it be the best, the biggest, devoid of romanticism or the most accurate?<<

As far as an Encyclopedia Titanica movie...just look at this Website and see all the possibilities for writers, directors, producers and actors !
:)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina

I would grant that it would be likely to be the most accurate, but given the sheer diversity of interests among the membership, I wouldn't rule out elements of romanticism creeping in. Beyond that, all bets are off!

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Can anyone assist, I have seen some film footage of the launch of the Olympic and some of the Britannic, but not of the Titanic, has any one seen this, does any exist?

thanks
Derek

Jan 2, 2008
Perhaps we should just take all the good things in the many Titanic movies and work them into a new version! Would just about please everyone I'd say

May 3, 2005
>>Can anyone assist, I have seen some film footage of the launch of the Olympic and some of the Britannic, but not of the Titanic, has any one seen this, does any exist? <<

The Commentary on "A Night To Remember" states that the launch of the Queen Elizabeth (Q.E. 1) was used for the scenes of the launch of the Titanic. They used some old archival footage of other ships for other scenes, but I believe they stated none was available of the Titanic launching.

>>Perhaps we should just take all the good things in the many Titanic movies and work them into a new version! Would just about please everyone I'd say<<

Just for fun, for my own "Titanic Movie" I "pasted" together parts of the three movies I mentioned in my previous posting. I "pasted" Clifton Webb's and Kathy Bates' speeches about "the cavalry charge" back to back. LOL.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
I suspect that the movie would probably be a TV mini-series, like 'Roots', or 'Shogun'; probably five parts-1 Concept, Building, Launch-3 hours; 2 Sea Trial, Port Calls-3 Hours; 3 Voyage To Collision-3 Hours; 4 Sinking, Californian, Rescue-3 Hours; 5 Aftermath-3 hours. You'd use overlapping story arcs, since not all characters would appear in all sections-Lord Pierie may be in 1 and 5, whereas Violet Jessup and 'Molly' Brown may not appear until late in 2, or even 3, and obviously there are characters that disappear in 4. Talent selection would be key, and there's plenty of room for interaction and drama without a fictional "Jack & Rose" centerpiece. That's how I'd approach it. WILL

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Will,

Your ideas above are by far the best I have heard so far. I never thought about a 'Roots' type mini-series before but that is the best way to approach it in order to get the detail that we here at ET would want. Count me in on this one.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Can anyone assist, I have seen some film footage of the launch of the Olympic and some of the Britannic, but not of the Titanic, has any one seen this, does any exist? <<

Unfortunately, if any motion picture of Titanic's launch survive, they are in private hands and have never been published. There are some still photos which have been published but they're a bit rare.

>>I suspect that the movie would probably be a TV mini-series, like 'Roots', or 'Shogun';<<

If I was attempting to make a film which was faithful to the history, that would be my preferred way of doing it. You just can't do justice to the story in only two hours.

Jun 12, 2004
Still, Mike, that attempt was made with the Scott version in 1996. It was two parts, but it was a mini-series.

Of course, I presume you mean a longer mini-series? I would agree with that. The more space available, the more flexing room allowed and breadth of information can be covered.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
Mark-My breakdown had 5-3 hour sections; I would think we could cover it in about 12 1/2 hours-lose about 1/2 hour per episode for commercials-bleech! Matthew-Movies are what I do most of the time; find me a budget and I'll go at it! Working to develop a TV series at the moment at my own (tiny) film company. WILL

Jun 12, 2004
Will-

Not quite sure if even 12 1/2 hours would be enough time for Titanic, but a time limit would be necessary and that would be considerably longer than anything previously done.

What are you doing now? Can you talk about it or would you rather wait until it is done?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Still, Mike, that attempt was made with the Scott version in 1996. <<

Weeeeeelllll...not exactly. But then it wasn't presented as being true to the history. A good thing too since it wasn't! When I see "Based on actual events" I tend to take that as a red flag!

May 3, 2005
>>If I was attempting to make a film which was faithful to the history, that would be my preferred way of doing it. You just can't do justice to the story in only two hours.<<

Might be of interest that "Titanic" (1953) is only 1 hour 38 minutes in length....and it's been judged "the most horrible Titanic movie ever made."

>>When I see "Based on actual events" I tend to take that as a red flag!<<

Such as on "Titanic" (1953) ?

Some of the more interesting things about the DVD
on "Titanic" (1953)are the commentary sound tracks. However, the commentary by Film Critic Richard Shickel sounds as if he was bored about the whole thing and occasionally he comes across as "Oh ?...Now ...Where was I ?..Oh yes ! Now about that..." LOL.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
Mark-Developing a TV series. Can't really flap details, but it would interest those here-nautical in theme. Imagine all will recognize it if we can get it made and aired. Keep the happy thoughts! WILL