What is the nearest shipwreck to the Titanic

R

Richard Coplen

Hey all,
I've always wondered what other shipwrecks are near the Titanic? What is their story? When did they sink, etc. I know it's a puzzler, but does anyone know?

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
Good question!

I don't think there can be any wrecks in the immediate area or they'd have been spotted during the search that eventually located Titanic.
They had a close look at several hundred square miles of seabed at that time.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Actually, the area may well be littered with shipwrecks, and some might be a lot closer that anyone thinks. The North Atlantic has claimed thousands of boats and ships of all sizes for several centuries. The reason any weren't spotted is because nobody was looking for them and in the darkness of those depths, you won't see it (If anything is left to be found!) unless you quite literally stumble accross the thing.

Nov 22, 2000
Hi Michael, so the "Debris Field" could in effect contain items from other ships? I know it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination but..............

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
Imagine if they found a couple of nicely preserved cannon quietly sitting in the midst of everything else.
Conspiracy theories? The guys who wrote the book about Titanic really being Olympic and sunk for insurance would have a field day!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Cannon? Ah ha! Now we know what "really" sank the Titanic. She shot herself!

Seriously, I don't know if there's a shipwreck really all that close to the Titanic, but I wouldn't be surprised if some trash or other junk has been inadvertantly dropped on the wreck over the past ninety years.

Jan 29, 2001
As a matter of fact, there were some PEPSI cans left by the litterbugs above, aboard the two cruise ships on-site to watch the recovery of the stern plate section in '96.

If you were to agree with Jack Grimm about his propeller photo, then yes indeed there is a ship just a quaint 1/2 mile (The actual distance Grimm closed within finding T) from TITANIC.

Michael Cundiff
USA

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
One would think that, if Titanic is slowly disintegrating, other ships at that depth would also suffer the same fate, so that even if other ships had sunk in the vicinity, they would have been in various stages of disintegration. Considering that many ships that were lost were not built of iron prior to the Industrial Age, we know that wood is one of the first elements to go. Seems to me it would be hard-pressed to find any remains. We were fortunate to find Titanic before she totally disappeared.

Nigel Hampson

Jan 11, 2006
Hi Everyone,
There is another White Star ship that was lost in 1893 and COULD be somewhere in the rough vicinity of the grand banks.

On 11th February 1893 the NARONIC sailed from Alexandra dock, Liverpool bound for New York under the command of Captain William Roberts.
After the pilot had been dropped off at Point Lynas - the NARONIC simply disappeared. She never arrived in New York.
Approximately 3 weeks later a steamer called the COVENTRY spotted an upturned lifeboat with the NARONIC's name on it, drifting in position 44o 2' N X 47o 37' W
Approximately 12 hours later the COVENTRY found a second deserted lifeboat in position 44o 34' N X 46o 25' W
Apparently, the second lifeboat was in good condition and the mast was overboard, secured by a line as if acting like a sea anchor. Again NARONIC's name was painted on the bow of the lifeboat positively identifying her.
The NARONIC was a cattle boat, carrying livestock, but did have capacity for 150 passengers. Fortunately on her last voyage no passengers were aboard, but no trace of her or the 74 crew have ever been found.
A Board of Trade inquiry was held in St George's Hall, Liverpool but when it presented it's findings, it concluded that it had no idea as to what had happened to NARONIC or her 74 crew.
Not being skilled in navigation, I have no idea as to where these positions actually are ((Other than SOMEWHERE in the North Atlantic!))

Now if some of the old sea dogs that visit here could plot those positions in relation to the Titanic site............

Nige H

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, the locations that the lifeboats were found at may not be as revealing as some might think. There is no way, short of accidentally stumbling on the wreck, to know where the unfortunate Naronic went down, and one would have to bear in mind that these lifeboats would have been at the mercy of the currents for close to three weeks. That's enough to put one off the scent by hundreds of miles if not more.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Without doing the sums exactly, the positions are up to 150 miles or so ENE of the Titanic wreck. As Mike said, the positions of the boats would give no idea of the position of the wreck.

Naronic must have met with some disaster, but it can't have been an iceberg, as is sometimes suggested. It was well outside the ice season. Stress of weather may have been the reason, but I've never seen the records and if the Board of Trade was undecided at the time it seems the evidence was inadequate.

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
On the subject of what remains of older ships would still be in evidence, during Ballard's search for Bismark he found wreckage that he thought WAS from the ship - only to discover later it was from a 19th Century sailing ship. The giveaway was a perfectly preserved wooden rudder. What was even more obvious was the impact crater the ship had left. I suspect that even if the ship itself has largely gone, many older wrecks could be located by looking for the disturbance of the seabed

R

Richard Coplen

Hey again,
the reason why i asked this question was because when watching documentaries about the discovery of shipwrecks such as the Bismarck and the Carpathia other shipwrecks in their vicinity created false-alarms amongst the explorers. In the Carpathia's case - the explorers were almost positive they found her until they came acoss crockery bearing the Hamburg-Amerika logo. In this case they had found the wreck of another shipwreck by the name of Isis. The Carpathia was later found not too far away. I'm sure there are other shipwrecks near the Titanic - be they the remains of a wooden-hulled ship or one of the countless victims of a U-boat attack. It's interesting to think about.

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
Richard -

I saw a similar documentary on Carpathia. I was struck by the fact that the Isis was simply brushed aside: yet it was quite a story in itself and certainly cost more lives. I find the "unknown" stories - like Isis and the sailing ship Ballard found near Bismark - at least as fascinating as the more well know ones. Who knows what other amazing tales are down there somewhere, waiting to be told

R

Richard Coplen

My thoughts exactly Steve. What i'd love to know more about is these liners that just vanished into thin air - the likes of the Pacific and the Waratah. The ocean floor is littered with so many lost lives.

Nick Rose

Feb 4, 2006
"about the discovery of shipwrecks such as the Bismarck and the Carpathia other shipwrecks"

the carpathia that rescued titanic's survivors? and wasn't the Mount Temple one of the ships within 50 miles of the titanic as the titanic sank?

M

Martha Fasoulas

Hello there Nick!

The Californian was the ship you may be thinking of, which was within the vicinty of 50miles of where Titanic sank. If you may be familiar with the story, the Titanic attempted to use their distress signals and wireless to gain the attention of the Californian which they could see in the distance to no avail.

Hope this helps

Take care
Martha

Nick Rose

Feb 4, 2006
but didnt the mount temple make radio contact with the titanic? i think the mount temple was at least 150 miles away. well if thats the case the 1 sliped my mind.