What is the ocean liner in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

Dan Kappes

Aug 17, 2009
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
It looks like a French line vessel. The scene is set in the 1930s. Here is a GIF link of it, which looks like it includes behind the scenes CGI of it, and the scene in the film, which is set in fog.

XGTV.gif

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
It's probably just a fictional generalised ship rather than based on any other ship or an amalgamation of various ships and designs.

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
I am not familiar with this film , but was there any mention of the names of any ships in the dialouge in the film ?
There is the name "Chelsea" in the foreground of the scene. Could this be in reference to the Chelsea Docks in New York ?
I am also assuming the film was in black and white with the ship showing dimly, as if in a fog.
The ship seems to have been drawn in and colorized to show it in the "flipped" scene.
Where did the colorized ship scene come from ?

Last edited:

Dan Kappes

Aug 17, 2009
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I am not familiar with this film , but was there any mention of the names of any ships in the dialouge in the film ?
There is the name "Chelsea" in the foreground of the scene. Could this be in reference to the Chelsea Docks in New York ?
I am also assuming the film was in black and white with the ship showing dimly, as if in a fog.
The ship seems to have been drawn in and colorized to show it in the "flipped" scene.
Where did the colorized ship scene come from ?
No offense, but I only expected people who have seen this film to reply to this post. The name of the tugboat in the film is the Chelsea and I don't think it's named after the Chelsea Docks in New York. The film is in color and the ocean liner scene is set on a foggy day. I just got the GIF from Google Images and it shows the scene from the film plus what I assume is an early computer rendering of the scene from behind the scenes footage on the DVD of the film.