What is the oldest liner in service

Feb 14, 2011
Does anyone know the name of the oldest ocean liner/cruise ship still in service?
(This excludes permanantly moored liners, like Queen Mary)

Are there any cruise ships/liners in service today that were built before WW2?

in 1999 I sailed the now sunken Seabreeze, a circa 1958 liner, and at that time, I thought she was the oldest in service.
If the ss United States comes back into service, will she be the oldest?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Again I nominate the Princesa Victoria. In service from 1936 as the Dunnottar Castle (Union Castle Line) on the Tilbury-South Africa run, and was still cruising in the Med after the start of the new millenium.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
In the Summer of 2000,I did take a New England/Canada cruise aboard the Regal Empress.The Regal Empress entered service as a transatlantic liner in 1953 as the Olympia of the Greek Line and today she is still in service doing cruises out of Florida to the Bahamas.So I think that she has to be one of the oldest in service today as a 51 year old ocean liner. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Perhaps stretching it a bit, one of the oldest powered ships of any kind still in use is MV Doulos, built as SS Medina in 1914. It's true that she only served as a passenger liner for part of her career, but a liner she certainly was, complete with swimming pool. Over the years she's been repeatedly altered and when I last saw her, her hull was an interesting mixture of rivetting and welding. She's going to Southampton on 8 April. Read all about her at http://www.mvdoulos.org/

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Danae and Daphne date from 1955 and were respectively Port Melbourne and Port Sydney. See:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/ItalyDanae.html

I have seen Danae in Dover.These vessels date from when naval architects strove for length on the waterline and her classic sheer and cruiser stern make a refreshing contrast to the shoe boxes one normally sees at the outer cruise berth.

Noel

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
The MV Doulos, was its bow done again later? I thought all ships built in the 1910s had almost straight bows.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Jeremy, you think correctly. Photos of the ship in 1914 show a bow much like that of Titanic. A 1948 photo shows the raked bow. As I mentioned, she's been much hacked about. When I saw her a few years ago, they'd just cut a big hole in the port side to allow some big piece of equipment to be installed.