What is THE Titanic book that would make your collection complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Many hardcore Titanic bibliophiles are after one very elusive volume, the aquisition of which would complete thier Titanic book collection.

W hat are you after? A Shipbuilders? A Lightoller? A Thayer?

For me, its "An Unsinkable Titanic" by J Bernard walker, 1912.

regards

tarn Stephanos

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The ships log, or the jewelled Rubaiyat
happy.gif

Cheers

Paul

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
My most wanted books :

"Perils of the Sea" Arthur O. Cooke
"An Unsinkable Titanic" J.Bernard Walker
"Steamer Titanic" Nicholas Daly ca.1912

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Would the ship's log be the ultimate limited edition, Paul?
happy.gif

Can't say there's any Titanic specific books I'm particularly hunting after, although there are a few books (and an unpublished MS) re aspects of the mercantile service I'd like to get my hands on. I'd like a copy of Beaumont's Ships and People if I ever run across it - I have a mate or two who own it, though, and I haven't exactly been actively seeking it (it's just on the list I run through whenever I'm in a nautical or second hand bookshop). Bestic's unpublished MS for his second book is the other one I'd love to see...not necessarily own, I'd be happy enough reading it.

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Here are some of mein, though some of these are not published yet.

- The Shipbuilder, Titanic & Olympic
- Mark Chrinside's new books when they hit publication, the Olympic-class and Olympic, Titanic's Sister.

- Olympic & Titanic, the Truth behind the Conspiracy by Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall.

It's just saving up the money :-(

Best,

Nigel

Jun 20, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I'm after "The Complete Titanic:From the Ship's Earliest Blueprints to the Epic Film" by Stephen J. Spignesi and "Titanic:psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy" by George Behe. No luck though so far.

I'm in agreement on Mark Chirnside's "The Olympic Class Ships" book. I can't wait til it's released! Looks like it will be a great read.
happy.gif

Jun 20, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the links, Michael.You're right about the prices though-$75.00 & $162.16-yikes! Out of my price range unfortunately. I guess I was lucky to get "Titanic:Safety, Speed and Sacrifice" from Amazon recently for $12.50 though, after some of the prices I've seen for it as well.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yikes is about right. I'd go for it myself, but I just can't afford it right now. Strangely enough, the paperback is more expensive then the hardcover that's being offered. In regards Stephen Spignesi's book, that one is still in print, although Amazon.com says it's out of stock for now.

Jun 12, 2004
One that would be a must-have for me is a book featuring the inquiries, supplemented by an in-depth explanation of the discussions within. That would be primary. I haven't seen such a book yet, although there might be one in existence somewhere. There are others, too, but that's just one off the top of my head.

Oct 13, 2000
Actually, I don't necessarily recommend Amazon.com as the best place to search for used books. You will usually find better prices by using Bookfinder.com:

http://www.bookfinder.com

Desiree, I have sent you a private email on a good buy on George Behe's book that I found.

Mark, a good work that discusses the the American Senate Inquiry in some depth is Wyn Craig Wade's book, Titanic End of a Dream.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jun 12, 2004
>>Mark, a good work that discusses the the American Senate Inquiry in some depth is Wyn Craig Wade's book, Titanic End of a Dream.<<

Thanks for the suggestions, Michael. It is appreciated.

Regarding Wade's book, I read it a long time ago and found it very informative, although I do not own it as of yet.

What I am really referring to is a book that revolves solely around the inquiries and nothing else, a book that goes into depth regarding only the two inquiries. That would be a Titanic literary treasure.

Thanks again, Michael.

Peace!

Jun 4, 2000
Thanks for the explanation, Jonathan. For a moment there I thought we'd have to scramble the ET team for an international emergency Titanic book airdrop. ;)

My main book interest is fiction, poetry and playscripts so my 'missing book' is quite different to everyone else's. The one book I've always wanted is Chas Forshaw's Poetical Tributes on the Loss of the RMS Titanic. It turns up relatively frequently but never at a price I can 'justify'. I also collect Titanic related children's books and have several of Cookes' works, but not the one Patty mentioned (Perils of the Sea) - that's on my 'list' too.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind any of the others mentioned. I'd particularly like to read Beaumont and the unpublished Bestic.

(Desiree, as you're in Oz I'd suggest avoiding Amazon where possible as their international postage costs aren't the best. Michael T's suggestion of Bookfinder.com is an excellent one and the way I've sourced most of my rarer books from overseas. For example, used copies of George Behe's book range from AUD$36 to well over AUD$100, with the most expensive copies being on Amazon. The Spignesi book starts at AUD$11.)

Ed Weichsler

Feb 4, 2004
I'm sure there are many who would dispute it's inclusion, but for me (on a personal basis) it would have to be an 1898 "Futility".

JMO

H

Holly Peterson

For me, it would be "The Irish Aboard the Titanic," which I ordered about two months ago and am eagerly awaiting.

Probably my favorite book is my "Women and Children First," the cover of which is now so mangled it has completely fallen off. It makes its debut as the second Titanic book I've ever bought, the first book I've ordered off the internet, and the book that has given me the most pictures of Titanic children!

Status
Not open for further replies.