What made the dynamos finally give out

K

Ken hogan

Okay I've got a quick question. What finally killed the dynamos? I know nothing about the electral system on the titanic but i want to learn more. Was it the strain of so many electrics being underwater in the bow? I would really like an answer to this question. Be it fact or speculation.

Thanks
Ken

J

Jeffrey Trim

My question would be whether or not the breakup had started before the lights went out? If not, would the water have made it to the last boiler rooms by then?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm pretty sure that the chain of events leading to the break-up were set in motion long befor the actual event. The short version is that the ship broke apart because the structure was not strong enough to survive the stresses put on it by the flooding up forward, and the unsupported weight of the stern rising out of the water. This was an ongoing process which started the second the first flood waters surged in through the damage in the hull up forward.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Aaron Zaffuto

Oct 7, 2005
I swear i could recall hearing that the power went out a good time before the break. When you can consider that the power was getting pretty low by the time the water had reached the boat deck, this is from the accounts of herald bride, having to adjust the marconi equipment to compensate for the loss of power. So I believe somthing else contributed to the power failure.

Did titanic have a series of breakers that would of shut the power off to rooms when the water hit anything electrical?

Aaron Zaffuto

Oct 7, 2005
I recall in gota comutator they show there was a breaker in the marconie room are there any others, a breaker in each hallway?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I swear i could recall hearing that the power went out a good time before the break.<<

It didn't. The people down in the Dynamo Room managed to keep them going up until the time the ship broke up. That didn't mean that there wouldn't be problems keeping the whole ship lit up. Think of what happens when salt water gets to the fuses or the breakers. Providing power to anything with this going on was no small feat. I'm not surprised the Marconi Room had problems.

When you get down to it however, the breakup was the final straw. The dynamos needed steam to run and with the steam cut off by the steam lines breaking, the lights would have faded away in very short order.

Aither_2017

Feb 10, 2017
The dynamos was a backup one and just barely kept the lights on dim. That dynamos cut out during the structural failiure (2 - 5 minutes before the breakup) after the steam supply was either cut off or too many boilers were extinguished by the salt water. 2 of the boiler rooms were flooded just because the first two funnels collapsed and water spilled down the boiler casings, putting out the boilers.