What more can we learn

J

Jack Coburn

With the wreck disintegrating and most of the survivors by now dead, how much more can we learn from this disaster? We have just about explored everywhere possible inside the wreck and the survivors still alive would have been too young to have known what was happening that night. Can we now only speculate about what happened?

Mar 3, 1998
Jack,

We learn more with each new expedition. We have only just begun to explore the interior of the wreck. The information gleaned from the 2001 expedition caused Titanic experts to re-evaluate much of what they thought they already knew. No one could even speculate what Titanic's Marconi transmitting apparatus layout was like before 2001...now we know for certain. James Cameron was tantalised by what he couldn't accomplish in 2001, and will hopefully go back to explore further. He reached the entrance to Scotland Road and was just around the corner from the Turkish Bath before he was forced to turn back. There is much that we learned in 2001 and there's more that we can learn. The bow section of the wreck alone is a big place and I don't think we have even explored a third of it, maybe even much less than that.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
There was a possibility for one this year, but technical problems caused it to be postponed. I don't know when it will be laid on again. Maybe next year; if not then, maybe 2005? That would be my guess.

Parks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Jack, think of the wreck in the same light that a detective views a crime scene. Each piece, each fragment, each bend, failed rivet, each split in a seam is a clue as to what happened almost a century ago on a cold night in April 1912.

It comes as a surprise to some that the actual mechanics of the sinking are not that well understood even today. The general details...yes....the specifics...no. We know that some things...like the 300ft "gash" so long en vogue simply are not so, and it took examination of the wreck to put that one to rest. What other mysteries are waiting to be explained? The only way we can know is to go down and have a look.