1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

What Poseidon movie do you like?

Discussion in 'Other Ship Films' started by Dan Kappes, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:49 AM.

1. Dan Kappes

Dan Kappes Member

The original 1972 film, the 2006 remake, or the 2005 TV miniseries?

And what do you think of the sequel to the original 72 film, 1979's Beyond the Poseidon Adventure?

Tags:
  2. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

The original film remains the best although I think the book upon which the film is based is better.

The sequel, Beyond the.... Is of the so bad its good categories of movie.

SmileyGirl likes this.
  3. The book is good to but I know a lot of people who hate the end (which had to do with the group of survivors going to the bow of the ship).

I think the best is the original 1972 one. But I also like the 2006 which has a lot of action.

SmileyGirl likes this.
  4. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Member

I prefer the original 1972 film to the 2006 remake. This is where I discovered and fell in love with Gene Hackman :D

I’ve never seen the 1979 sequel, didn’t know there was one :eek:

5. Both are fine, i personally think the 2006 movie is more creepy compared to the 1972 version, that being said, the '72 version is also good.

SmileyGirl and Logan H like this.
  6. Dan Kappes

Dan Kappes Member

Yeah, Gene Hackman was quite a handsome actor. ;)

SmileyGirl likes this.
  7. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Member

TBH, the 1972 film The Poseidon Adventure wasn't really good. If you go back and watch it now, you'll note the stilted dialogue, cardboard characters (I could have strangled Carol Lynley & Shelly Winters) and the unlikely script. Even the talented Gene Hackman was annoying with his pseudo-religious lines. IMO, Ernest Borgnine as the surly Rogo was the only saving grace.

The 2006 remake is by no means a memorable film, but at least it is unpretentious and the characters are far less annoying.

SmileyGirl likes this.
  8. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Member

What do you think of the 1979 sequel? I didn’t even know there had been a sequel? Is this about another disaster on another ship?

9. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Member

It was terrible. Same capsized ship and something about Telly Savalas and his baddie comrades looking for some hidden plutonium on board or something like that.

SmileyGirl and Steven Christian like this.
  10. Yeah it was pretty bad. I liked the original one. The 2006 remake did nothing for me.

SmileyGirl likes this.
  11. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Member

Oh I DO vaguely remember this. Maybe I have watched it before and it was so bad I erased it from my memory :D

12. No, its the same ship and some fortune hunters go aboard her right the original ones left. It wasn't very good IMHO.
    Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979) - IMDb

SmileyGirl likes this.
  13. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Member

Cheers for this Steven. I do remember this now I think (see comment above) :D

4.6 on IMDB, that says it all ;)

14. N. D. Risener

N. D. Risener Member

Interesting comments. I prefer the original movie because I saw it when it came out and I've never seen the others. However my compelling reason for liking the original is separate from the actual merits of the movie. At the time it came out I was working in a position that required long hours and put me under a great deal of stress. I had a rare opportunity to take a break, to relax in the calm solitude of a theater and just forget about my workload for a couple of hours. It left me with a refreshed feeling and a pleasant memory that remains to this day.

SmileyGirl and Steven Christian like this.
  15. Thats cool. Movies are good for that. When I was a wee lad we had no television. We were living in Germany and at the time there were no english channels so my parents didn't even bother getting a tv. Going to the movies was a big deal to us.

SmileyGirl likes this.
  16. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Member

It is very true that the mood you are in will affect how you feel about a movie. I don’t like a couple of movies just because I saw them at a bad time etc.

17. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Member

When I saw the original The Poseidon Adventure I was 18 years old and escapism was more important than realism or common sense. At that time, I liked disaster films like this one, The Towering Inferno and God help me, even When Time Ran Out. But with passing time I began to see through the artificiality and improbability of such films and now they don't even have much nostalgic interest. Now, whenever I think of TPA, the things that come to mind are Carol Lynley's simpering and whimpering, Shelly Winters holding up her old swimming medal every other minute and that teeny bopper's puppy adulation of Gene Hackman. Sorry, but there it is.

SmileyGirl likes this.
  18. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Member

I feel the adulation of Gene Hackman is needed but not the other stuff you mentioned :D