What ship is this postcard question

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Ryan,

You are correct. Lusitania at 13th Street with the new Chelsea Piers which were completed in 1910. I have not seen this oddly colored version of that card before. The pier building facades were actually a pink I believe.

Best,
Eric

Mar 27, 2004
New York State, United States
Ryan,

The Lusitania's funnels were about 65 foot tall, and stood atop the Sun Deck, so that they towered some 75 feet over the Boat Deck. From the waterline to the peaks of the funnels was close on 120 feet. The funnels were elliptical in fore-aft shape, being 24 feet long.

I am somewhat unsure of the exact dimensions of the Titanic's funnels -- at least right off the top of my head. I do know that they were 24' 6" long in fore-aft shape, so that figure just about matches.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
The inside of Lusitania's funnels at their widest diameter was 24 feet? Wow.

I think another reason the funnels look larger is because they were on a smaller ship.

What ship was it that had to get its funnels shortened slightly in order to fit under the Forth Rail Bridge in Edinburgh?

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Ryan,

I think it was the Majestic; the Mauretania had her masts cut for the same reason.

Best,
Eric

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
Hmm. The Mauretania's wikipedia article doesn't mention it but the Majestic's does. I'd add it to the Mauretania's but I don't really know the details.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
8 April 1937: With "guns peeping from her stern," Majestic II, now owned
by the Admiralty and named HMS Caledonia, leaves Southampton for Rosyth,
to serve as a boys' training ship. As she leaves, the ship produces a
blinding, tear-inducing smoke from her funnels, which, like her masts,
have been shortened to permit her to pass under the Forth Bridge.
(Sources: The New York Times, 8 and 9 April 1937; Chirnside's RMS
Majestic: The Magic-Stick; de Kerbrech and Williams' Cunard White
Star Liners of the 1930s; Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway.)

Mar 27, 2004
Ryan,

I'm sorry... I had put together a whole response to your question, and I seem to have forgotten to hit the "submit" button after the preview!

:eek:

Yes, it was the Majestic's funnels that were shortened; the Mauretania's masts (not funnels, masts) were shortened to the tops of her funnels when the time came for her to be scrapped.

I actually had someone argue that part of the Mauretania's history with me once -- and there are many, many photographs showing the Mauretania's masts shortened so that she could arrive at her scrapping destination.

I hope this helps!

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
You know, if they'd waited two or three more years to scrap the ship, it probably would have been used in the war and scrapped later, ala Aquitania.

*squints* Are the masts shortened in all four photos?

How did you find out the dates those photos were taken? :D That's pretty cool!

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Ryan,

yes, the masts are cut in all four photographs. I researched the dates for an article I am working on and for my own information.
I see I wrote the last date incorrectly - that photocard was taken Wednesday 7.4.35 at 6 A.M.

Best,
Eric Longo

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
01_mauretania_1907_tyne.jpg

Hope this works. Here's a view from before its masts were shortened. They were very tall! (Why can't I get the image to appear in the actual post? It only shows a link.)

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Moderator hat on.

Ryan, the size of pictures which can be inserted into a message is limited to 35 Kb and no more than 400 pixels in height or width. Your photo is much larger than that and, if contained in a message, might well have been removed.

I don't know whether the "Insert Image/Document" function would have allowed you to post the picture, but even if it did, the "Upload Oversize Image" option, which produces a link like the one in your message, was the proper way to do it.

Moderator hat off.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Ryan,

the photo you posted was taken on Tuesday, September 17th, 1907 by the local photographer Frank & Sons of 81 West Street, Gateshead, Co. Durham. The Mauretania is heading from the Swan fitting-out-basin to enter the North Sea for her preliminary trials. Taber/Alliance produced a lovely bas-relief real photo version of this photograph in both black and white and a tint.

Best,
Eric

Mar 27, 2004
Eric,

You're quite right -- that IS a hard one to get wrong, but there it was nevertheless. And you would never believe who it was that tried to argue it with me, either... but, I digress.
happy.gif
Those are some nice snaps, thanks for posting them.

Sometime, when you have a minute, drop me a line off-board; I've got a quick question to run past you.

Take care, gentlemen!

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
Mark -- What about images that are hosted somewhere else and not uploaded to the site? Is the issue *huge* images that make threads hard to read, hence the limit?

Eric -- Wow.
happy.gif
I tried to look that up on Google Earth but it crash. Anybody else have this problem? Some friends of mine have reported the same thing, too. Google Earth freezes and jams their computer into 'Safe Mode', so you have to reboot, usually a hard boot requiring you hit the reset button or switching the computer off by holding the power button in. Google Earth has never responded to email asking about the problem.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
What about images that are hosted somewhere else and not uploaded to the site?

Links to other sites are no problem. Hotlinking, though, is not allowed.

Is the issue *huge* images that make threads hard to read, hence the limit?

Yep. There are two issues: Oversized images can distort the appearance of the page, specifically by squeezing the left column that shows the name, username, etc., of the person posting and running off the right side. It also takes much longer to open pages on slow connections if there are a lot of images; ones larger than the limits make that process take even longer.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hotlinking is a practice whereby an image stored on one web site appears on another, usually without the permission of the owner of the web site where the image belongs. Look here.