What ships are these

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ragemanchoo/141.jpg
Nearest the viewer, this was listed in the caption as being the Queen Mary and I thought it was till I noticed the forecastle. It looks odd... boxy. The ship is too large to be the Aquitania, though, right?

The next ship looks like either the RMS Britannic (1929) or its twin the RMS Georgic. Then we have the Normandie. After that it, maybe the SS America? The Normandie is 1029 feet, the America would have been 723 feet, so it looks like it fits. The ship furthest from the viewer looks like one of the Bremen/Europa twins.

Anyone know?...

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I believe that the first ship would be the Berengaria. The ship just above the Normandie might be an Italian liner. Maybe Rex?

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I don't think so, but at the same time I don't think that this was taken in '40 or '41. The Normandie has steam rising from her funnels which suggests that she was on a turnaround. I believe in '40 and '41 she was already laid up with covers on her funnels.
This looks to be between '36 and '38 since the Normandie has her added tourist lounge on the stern and the Berengaria is present.
I also don't think that if this was taken in '40 or '41 that you would have German, British and a possible Italian liner there in peacetime livery.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
That is the Rex. The photo is famous, from a wire service, and I believe it appears in Frank Braynard's Normandie book with an exact date attached. I don't have the book with me, but for some reason 1937 is lodged in my head.

Jun 10, 1999
Uh Oh! Jim, I just now went to reference my copy of Frank O'Braynard's Normandie book and...it was MIA...shucks it must have sailed off to another harbor. I purchased that book from San Pedro's, L.A. Maritime Museum and just adore it...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
I also don't think that if this was taken in '40 or '41 that you would have German, British and a possible Italian liner there in peacetime livery.
I thought about that but I also thought maybe they'd been caught there when war broke out.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Another thing that can be used to date this photo, is that the tennis court was not yet installed between the Normandie's second and third funnels. It was surrounded by a very tall, dark, screening and is immediately visible in late-in-life photos.

K

Kyle Johnstone

March 18, 1937

From top left to bottom right...

Europa
Rex
Normandie
Georgic
Berengaria

happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.