What started it all

Feb 14, 2011
Of course my idea of pillow talk was describing the dimensions of Titanic's Turkish baths, or color of the rubber gaskets found in Titanic's portholes..
I'm a bit of a Titanic nerd....

S

Sara Gabs

I've never heard of the R.M.S. Titanic until James Cameron's movie came out (I was 8 then). I fell in love with the characters' tragic story, felt compassion for the people who didn't get a chance to be saved in the lifeboats, and oddly enough I thought the ship was beautiful, like a work of art. That was years ago, and I'm 18 now. I've come to be genuinely intrigued with the real Titanic, as I myself have a passion for the past. I have always loved history, and archaeology, so for me it's not at all strange that I'm fascinated with this ship. And I think there is nothing wrong with liking James Cameron's movie. It actually captures the interest of younger generations. That's not so bad, as it would mean Titanic will stay in the hearts of millions for decades to come.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
A really good movie is supposed to have a long lasting affect on a viewer. To that extent, Cameron's movie appears to have done just that. It did take home the Academy Award for best picture that year, and I am sure Sara that you were not alone on how it affected you. I agree, the ship was beautiful and Cameron brought it to life. I think your post above captured the important part of what he was trying to do with the film. As you probably know, Cameron's passion for Titanic did not end with making that film, but has continued on to this day.

Jan 29, 2001
As far as a long lasting effect on a viewer should stand...Who would've thought, that myself as a 10 yr. old young man, would have been taken aback, so long ago in the yr. 1967. The film ANTR has had a lingering happenstance on this viewer. I will have to concur with an earlier post of E. Paddon, something to the effect..."There is absolutely no comparison to such a spell-binder as was ANTR".

Who would've thought it would still harbor such a profound circumstance after all those yrs? It all seems like it was only yesterday...

So indeed Sarah...for such a young adult, perhaps you could/should find ANTR on dvd, prepare, perhaps a cup of coco, pull up a chair and enjoy. Albeit, it may not have such a lasting result on you, as it did myself...a lad of such a young age...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA
(And still...not a sign of Mr. S. Fossett...)

Jan 29, 2001
ADDENDUM: And Samuel...not only was Cameron so spell binded by TITANIC...I feel, that to a furthur degree it ignited is interest in yet, much furthur exploration of the Battleship BISMARCK.
And yet still...Dr. Ballard...was overshadowwed once more.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
I'm not the oldest here (close LOL), certainly not the youngest! The age diversity alone is amazing.

I remember seeing an old ship disaster movie on TV with Dorothy Malone, The Last Voyage. She was on Peyton Place at the time circa 1964. I was 9.
At about the same I saw my first BIG ship on Lake Superior in Duluth MN. (Never mind how could it sink? How could it FLOAT! I thought)

I'm assuming I saw ANTR before I read the book. When I was about 11 I read Capote's "In Cold Blood" ANTR and INC are still two of my favorite books, I've reread them several times. I've been fascinated by untimely deaths ever since: Jack the Ripper cases, James Dean, Elizabeth Short aka "The Black Dahlia" (my most recent obsession) and of course anything Titanic

Jan 29, 2001
Hello TIM: Yes, I myself am fascinated with untimely deaths...as a young man growing up I was a BRUCE LEE enthusiast for 13 yrs. And, furthur yet, my all-time favorite Baseball player, still to this day is ROBERTO CLEMENTE, who met a tragic death in 1973. A plane crash en-route to his earthquate struck country, Nicaragua, claimed the life of "The Great One"

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
The first "Time Tunnel" episode in, what was it? 1967? I bought the stereo viewer thang, what was that called? And clicked through the episode. Back then clicking was not what it is today. I just seemed to absorb the information. A good friend from High School tells me I was a walking Titanic encyclopedia in my teens. She'd know. I was lost in a haze of ganja smoke.

Jan 29, 2001
Jonathan: Funny thing...I too had the original view master along with the "Rendevous with Yesterday" episode in regards to TITANIC. Interesting however, I do not retain the view/master or episode today. I believe I swapped it for a minature "Lost in Space" robot, of which I was also a follower!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Apr 3, 2005
Well, i do remember i liked reading about sunken vessels when i was young, but i got more interested in the Titanic when i read Clive Cusslers, "Raise the Titanic", then even more when i saw the movie. A night to Remember was very good as my parents loved older movies so i got (Add "HAD to watch...lol) to watch it as i grew up.
As with the others here, i got ALOT more interested when the wreck was found.

Feb 18, 2006
I can't really say! All I do know is that it started in April of 1971, for no real reason I just grew obsessed with Titanic to the point of monomania. It's ebbed now, due to living, but it's still a subject of endless interest, as I've seen on the Boards.

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
For me it started with James Cameron's film. I knew that the film was a total work of fiction but after seeing it I wanted to know more about the real ship. The first book I read was Walter Lords: A Night To Remember after that I was hooked. My faint interest has grown into a passionate obsession. I have over 50 books including first editions of Beesley's, Gracie's, and Rostron's books. I cannot get enough of Titanic.

May 3, 2005
>>The first I ever even heard of it was when I saw that 1953 flick with Barbera Stanwyck and Clifton Webb,<<

I, too saw the 1953 movie when it first came out on "the big screen" but it didn't really register at the time. I was in the Navy at the time and it was a movie about a ship, but the greatest interest was that Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck were in it.

Since then, after seeing the 1997 movie, I've been working back to ANTR (both the movie and the book). And then came DVD's, PC's, the Internet and discovering the Encyclopedia Titanica Message Board , which has been the greatest source of interest and information.

So my interest may be in just the reverse order from the usual. :)

M

Matt Pereira

My interest got started by that made for tv movie Titanic from the early 90`s I think 1993 im not sure though of the exact year, but not long afterwards I picked up Titanic An illustrated history as my first Titanic book in my collection.

M

Matt Pereira

yes thats the one. Like you said quite the forgettable one. It was so bad I dont remember much from it other than how bad it was. I mean cmon all the lights in the hull was black when they were showing the lifeboats being lowered. But I did like the realistic low lighting condition of the boat deck.

But yep thats right it was probably 1996 then. Just seeing the tv show of the Titanic sinking and everything is what got me interested considering how the sinking happened.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I thought that silly rape scene with Tim Curry vs. Catherine Zeta-Jones was waaaaayyyy over the top, but that wasn't the only one. The problem here was that some of the actors were a lot better then the movie ever could be. Still, even the formidable talents of Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tim Curry, and George C. Scott couldn't make up for a truly atrocious story.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Mike,
I just watched that tele-movie not several hours ago.
I skipped the rap scene. It was WAY out of order and spoilt the movie somehow.
George C. Scott. What a great actor. Still think he played a great Scrooge in the remake all those years ago.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I just watched that tele-movie not several hours ago.<<

You have my condolances.
wink.gif

>>George C. Scott. What a great actor.<<

Aye, and it's unfortunate that the scripting wasn't worthy of his talants.