What Titanic movies do you own, and what are their formats?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
This is a list of the Titanic films I own and their formats.

1. Atlantic (1929)-DVD
2. Cavalcade (1933)-Blu-Ray/DVD combo
3. Titanic (1943)-Blu-Ray
4. Titanic (1953)-Blu-Ray
5. A Night to Remember (1958)-Blu-Ray
6. Titanic (1996 TV miniseries)-Blu-Ray
7. Titanic (1997)-Blu-Ray
8. Britannic (2000 TV movie)-DVD
9. Titanic (2012 TV miniseries)-Blu-Ray
10. Titanic: Blood & Steel (2012 TV series)-Blu-Ray

As you've probably guessed, I have a Blu-Ray player; 8/10 of these are Blu-Rays.

I also have a few Titanic books and both soundtrack albums from the 1997 film on CD, the first one and the second one titled Back to Titanic.

Also, isn't it amusing how three Titanic films, Cavalcade, the 43 Nazi German one, and the 53 Fox one were all released exactly a decade apart by years that end in 3?

S

SmileyGirl

Of films, I have seen Cavalcade and and Titanic (1953) but only own A Night To Remember And Titanic (1997). I also watched the 2012 miniseries. I have lots of documentaries on it though. What is your favourite film? Obviously the special effects on Titanic (1997) are brilliant and it makes such a difference seeing everything in colour but I think I still prefer A Night To Remember after all.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I own the 2012 ITV mini series and a lot of Titanic documentaries on DVD.

Did not particularly like the 1953 film. ANTR was good in terms of ethos and atmosphere but even for 1958 the cinematography was bargain basement; I had the VHS but never got it on DVD.

Hated Cameron's 1997 film. I would not want the disc if someone paid me to take it.

Oddly enough, a film that I own on DVD and the one that originally got me interested in the Titanic is the 1964 film The Unsinkable Molly Brown. It has a brief Titanic sequence.

Reactions: 1 person

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I mean that the 'special effects' are very poor. The camera angle, lighting etc are all fine but the sinking effects were poorly staged. A lot of the scenes have an obvious studio model with stationary 'smoke' and in one scene towards the end, the ship is shown with thick smoke coming out of the funnels (engines had been off for a while) and going forwards towards the sunken bow! If you have the DVD, watch behind the Ismay character's head as he sits in the lifeboat.

Another negative point for me ANTR is that I don't like Kenneth More and I am not a Lightoller fan. So, one playing the other was not exactly watchable.

Last edited:

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
So I have heard. I can imagine what it must be like, considering it was made in 1943 when the tide had turned for Nazi Germany. I would not be surprised if the iceberg had the Union Jack on one side and the Star- Spangled Banner on the other! :D

I was under the impression that it was almost impossible to get on disc? Is there a good DVD or BD with English subtitles?

Nov 14, 2005
You can see it here if you want to watch it. Like Dave above said so bad its good. It was actually better than I expected for entertainment value. But historically its pretty poor.

Reactions: Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I read that Josef Goebbels sponsored it as a propaganda effort and then got cold feet and banned it, fearing it might have the opposite effect on the confused German populace. Must be an absolute hoot.

Nov 14, 2005
It was shown to audiences and didn't have the effect Goebbels wanted. The audience felt bad for the victims. He was hoping the people would like the demise of the evil capitalists. Plus they were in no mood for disaster movies as they were living thru a diasater themselves. So he had it pulled after a few showings.

Reactions: Arun Vajpey

Athlen

Apr 14, 2012
I only own one: Titanic (1953), on iTunes. I bought it a little too hastily. I wanted to watch Titanic (1997) and I chose the only movie named "Titanic" that iTunes offered at the time -- without looking at the description. It was actually the 1953 film, which I'd seen before, but I did watch it. Everything else I either rented or saw in a theater. I borrowed "A Night to Remember" from my local library on three reels of 16 mm film. I foisted that film on numerous friends and relatives who, being Eighties Kids, probably didn't appreciate watching a two-hour black-and-white film even if it was accompanied by my significantly more than ample commentary.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I see that the Kino DVD is available on Amazon. Even the cover art is a hoot. Given the circumstances that it was made, the film should be a collector's item now. I'll order it.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I think the DVD TITANIC The Shocking Truth Titanic was a shocking DVD!
As Andrew Newton come a cross as quite convincing to start with, but is then not long before he making mistakes after mistakes. Holding the Titanic model in his hand and referring as the Olympic!
Making out the Titanic was switch for Olympic?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I own the 2012 ITV mini series and a lot of Titanic documentaries on DVD.

Did not particularly like the 1953 film. ANTR was good in terms of ethos and atmosphere but even for 1958 the cinematography was bargain basement; I had the VHS but never got it on DVD.

Hated Cameron's 1997 film. I would not want the disc if someone paid me to take it.

Oddly enough, a film that I own on DVD and the one that originally got me interested in the Titanic is the 1964 film The Unsinkable Molly Brown. It has a brief Titanic sequence.
When did you first see the 1964 film The Unsinkable Molly Brown that sparked your interest in the Titanic? Mine was the 1997 film when I was 5.