What was on the stern?

J

jean leysman

Thanks for bringing this up Kat, I have always wondered what was on the stern (or the bow for that matter). The problem now is, that there is not one picture of Titanic, that I have seen, that shows that her name was actually on the stern (or bow). I heard that the name was engraved rather than applied on the metal. But then again: why was is not in paint?
The only time I saw the name on the stern was in the movie.

Toughts anyone?

J

jean leysman

Thanks a lot Dan, you're right, I seem to have missed all the good pictures of Titanic, though I have seen quiet a lot of them.

Jean

R

Rolf Vonk

Hey Dan,

Is that last picture called "goodbye to the emigrants" really from Titanic?? I can't place the visible part of the hull to the shapes of the ship. For example that hole in the hull and the strange lifeboat (?) in the left corner above.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Rolf

D

Daniel Rosenshine

The picture is clearly not Titanic. It would have been one of the many other ships that Browne would have visited whilst they were at Queenstown.

Daniel.

J

jean leysman

Hi Rolf,
I have a good mind to say it is the White Star Line Cedric.
I studied some pictures. and Cedric is the one that comes closest. But don't rely on it. I'm not 100% sure!

regards, Jean

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Jean!

Thanks for your information. I really don't know if the ship is the Cedric, but I'm going to try a picture of it.

Regards,
Rolf

Scarborough

Jan 24, 2021
Canada
Hello, I am wondering how the stern name and port of registry lettering might have been angled. It looks like they certainly are, but in what way? I know the Trumpeter model kit brass add-ons suggest the outboard letters shift downward. The 1997 film model seems to rotate the outboard letters to align with the bottom curve of the hull plate. Photos of Oceanic, Olympic, and Britannic aren't clear enough to stop me from going back and forth on this one. Anyone have definitive info? I don't have rigging plans or anything like that. Thanks.