What was played during dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2004
What was played during dinner? Was it waltzes, or ragtime, or classical, or something else? Or was it a mixture of all these? I'm just wondering.

Aug 29, 2000
It was a mix indeed. I can remember Tales of Hoffman, GloWorm, and of course Alexander's Ragtime Band being recalled by passengers. The Quaker Girl was the big hit on the London stage and I believe something from that was played. Some of the Titanic CD's which are currently still on the market have done some of this homework and have produced a good representative collection of tunes.

Aug 29, 2000
I just recalled Marjorie Newell told me she remembered a Strauss waltz and she would know, being an excellent musician herself.

Dec 7, 2000
All,

>>What was played during dinner?<<

As a matter of fact nothing. Music generally was not played during dinner. This was tried in the a la Carte Resturant, and originally in 1911 a small band platform and pino were installed there. I can't remember exactly, it was either too crowded or a nuisance, and the entire idea was done away with. The band stand and expensive Steinway piano was removed probably in later 1911 (very likely during the Hawke damage fix-up).

Titanic never had any such band stand fitted in the restaurant, and the string trio usually played after dinner. On D deck, in the 1st class Reception Room, the band played at afternoon tea from 4 - 5pm, and again after dinner was finished.

Regards,

Daniel.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Another myth bites the dust!
But I still love this fictional scene in ANTR:

Musician: What's the use, no-one's listening.
Hartley: People don't listen when they're eating, but we play just the same. Isn't that so, Sir?
Andrews: They say it helps the digestion.
Hartley: Exactly, that's because it soothes the nerves. Right, number 24.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
I always thought it odd that WSL and Cunard had different rules for when and where music was played as on the Lusitania's last voyage, the musicians played during meal times.
Mike

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
According to The Countess of Rothes, selections from "The Tales of Hoffman" was the final music played after dinner.

A year or so after the sinking, she was dining out and the feeling of cold and intense horror descended upon her. It was then she realized that the band was playing something from "The Tales of Hoffman".

Jerry Sacher

Oct 14, 2007
The orchestra probably played light classical music as the passengers were coming down to dinner. There might have been only the pianist during the actual meal, and the orchestra joined together once more after dinner. I would have loved to hear them do a rendition of the Chocolate Soldier

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
'The Chocolate Soldier' was included in their standard repertoire, Jerry, but there was normally no music at all before or during dinner. For the locations and times when they did play for the 1st Class passengers, see Daniel Klisthorner's posting above.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The Chocolate Soldier was a very popular operetta of the time, containing many numbers. The band might have played My Hero, a waltz song for soprano, which was about the only part of it that endured. It's been recorded in modern times but I seem to have escaped hearing it for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.