What/whom would you like to see/meet?

• Thread starter Matthew O'Brien
  • Start date

Kari Holmgren

Mar 6, 2006
Chicago IL
This is something that I've thought about through the years. Sure, I would love to meet Philips, Bride, and the deck officers. However, just as intriguing for me. Would be to meet the fireman and trimmers. They were the beating heart of the ship. I'm sure a good many of them had some interesting tales to be told. I would than thank each and every one of them. They didn't nearly get the recognition that they rightfully deserved.

Laurel

Jul 13, 2020
This is something that I've thought about through the years. Sure, I would love to meet Philips, Bride, and the deck officers. However, just as intriguing for me. Would be to meet the fireman and trimmers. They were the beating heart of the ship. I'm sure a good many of them had some interesting tales to be told. I would than thank each and every one of them. They didn't nearly get the recognition that they rightfully deserved.
I think we'd all need to go to that ship 100 times to be able to meet everyone we'd like to. Every time someone mentions another crewmember or passenger they'd like to meet, I add more to my list. To meet the trimmers and firemen and the so called "black gang" members would be so interesting. I'd love to meet John Harper as well, the pastor who died during the siking that a fellow forum member told me about (I forgot who at the moment, but thank you to whoever did! :)). There were so many fascinating people onboard the Titanic, and I think that's why so many of us are so interested in it, besides the technical side of things like the ships construction that is extremely interesting in of themselves.

Kari Holmgren

Mar 6, 2006
Chicago IL
Do you have family member on board?
There's a possibilty that I did. My great grandmother always said she had a cousin that was in third class and died. I've tried to do research but I keep hitting a brick wall. I can't find any more information on my cousin after he leaves Romania. There's a song, written in 1865 by Henry Clay Work called The Ship that Never Returned. She said that song always reminded her of her cousin. In a very small way, I feel like the song could almost be talking about Titanic. Even though it was written 48 years before she was even built.

I think we'd all need to go to that ship 100 times to be able to meet everyone we'd like to. Every time someone mentions another crewmember or passenger they'd like to meet, I add more to my list. To meet the trimmers and firemen and the so called "black gang" members would be so interesting. I'd love to meet John Harper as well, the pastor who died during the siking that a fellow forum member told me about (I forgot who at the moment, but thank you to whoever did! :)). There were so many fascinating people onboard the Titanic, and I think that's why so many of us are so interested in it, besides the technical side of things like the ships construction that is extremely interesting in of themselves.
Oh, I completely agree. I would also like to meet those in third class. For me, I feel like it's their stories that need to be told.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
[/QUOTE]There were so many fascinating people onboard the Titanic, and I think that's why so many of us are so interested in it, besides the technical side of things like the ships construction that is extremely interesting in of themselves.[/QUOTE]
Hi,

People are fascinated with the past, Edwardian history, and things that we can compare with. Since so much as changed over the years, it makes titanic and her era even more interesting and facinating. Lets face it, if nothing had changed over 100 years, we would be living like them and probably have no desire towards Edwardian life styles and people.

Etc...questions asked -

How Edwardian people behaved compared to us ?

Did titanic have this? What we have etc...

Im a great example of this-

Titanic-
I found out titanic even had a switch board, electric fans, electric heaters and lights that could dim. I thought these were recent inventions.

Edwardian women-
I thought Edwardian women were never single mums, or never had babies before marriage but a few Edwardian women were and did as I've just found out.

Edwardian men-
Edwardian men mainly sailors caught a certain thing. Won't go into details but sleeping around was looked down on in 1912. I have as no idea this kind of thing happened back then.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
There's a possibilty that I did. My great grandmother always said she had a cousin that was in third class and died. I've tried to do research but I keep hitting a brick wall. I can't find any more information on my cousin after he leaves Romania. There's a song, written in 1865 by Henry Clay Work called The Ship that Never Returned. She said that song always reminded her of her cousin. In a very small way, I feel like the song could almost be talking about Titanic. Even though it was written 48 years before she was even built.

Hi,

Wow, I hope you found out good news. I've been trying to find out if any of my family had connections but it's all to hard.

Do you know his name? Date of birth? Death date? Marriage date?

Kari Holmgren

Mar 6, 2006
Chicago IL

Hi,

Wow, I hope you found out good news. I've been trying to find out if any of my family had connections but it's all to hard.

Do you know his name? Date of birth? Death date? Marriage date?
Yes, I know all that. I'm really interested in genealogy. But I'm not going to give up hope just yet. I wish you luck in trying to fine out about your family. :)