What will it be used for

Aug 31, 2004
Is it going to be a cruise ship, ocean liner, or both, like the QM2. Also, the QM2 retiring from service in a few years?! Oh no its not...at least not after I'M through with them. :)

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
According to the Cunard announcement on April 5,2004 the Queen Victoria is refered to as a "new luxury ocean liner".Hopefully Cunard is honest in this announcement and the Queen Victoria is a true ocean liner and not another ugly,boxy cruise ship.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I think you'll end up getting the "ugly,boxy cruise ship." but optimized for the rigours of the North Atlantic run. Keep in mind that the function dictates form. The longer bows and sterns of the old liners that we've come to know and love existed because of a very real need to provide cargo space. A need which really doesn't exist today.

These days, the need is to maximize passenger berths which earns the revenue, so that's how they plan it.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Mike, When you wrote that the Queen Victoria will be "optimized for the rigours of the North Atlantic run",Does that mean that she will still be a true ocean liner?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Uhhhhh...what I said was "I think you'll end up getting the "ugly,boxy cruise ship." but optimized for the rigours of the North Atlantic run." This would be if the ship is built with service as a liner in mind. If the idea is for a cruise ship only, she'll be optimized for that.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Quick note: it was announced here on the Queen Mary 2 that the Queen Victoria will be a double bottom hull ship, but will be set for mostly cruising. It can do the North Atlantic crossings, but I think Cunard will have the Queen Mary 2 do it instead.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
So does anyone know yet if this means that Cunard will only use the QM2 for transatlantic crossings and that the QV will only cross the Atlantic when it has to?
I'm really curious if Cunard is making QV to be able to cross the NORTH Atlantic during all months or if she will cross occasionally like all cruise ships do when getting to the different seasonal cruise markets. Would be nice if Cunard is going to have 3 true queens like they say, but that this 3rd one will live up to the legacies of the others and not just be a reinforced cookie cutter cruise ship that just happens to have a black hull. From the looks of the deck plans on Cunard.com, she is looking a lot like those big "wedding cake" looking cruise ships that come out of Italy with the boxy stern that looks like someone chopped it off. I'm hoping that this is actually a profile of the previous order for the QV that became the Arcadia and that the QV will look more like a smaller QM2.

A

Adam Lang

I'm curious to know what the cost of building a true ocean liner would be, as apposed to a standard cruise ship. Obviously, Cunard wouldn't want to spend more money on an ocean liner if they just plan to use it for island-hopping. As anyone on this site will say, the shipping line's main priority is revenue, rather than style.

However, if a true ocean liner doesn't cost as much as I am thinking, of course a cruise line would build one instead of a cruise ship, primarily for the sake of attracting die-hard maritime enthusiasts who will only travel on true liner. But I'm sure if you add an extra pod, a more advanced propulsion sytem, and a thicker hull, the cost would probably go up quite a lot. Can anyone confirm this?

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I thought I'd post what I have read about this, and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.. The QV was going to be a modified "Vista" class ship, but that ship was transferred to P&O. As far as the new ship goes, they haven't changed the original talk about it being a Vista class, but who knows. They're being so darn secretive about this one. When they were building the QM2, you got weekly updates.

As to what a Vista class ship looks like, the new P&O liner, launched earlier this year (was originally supposed to be the QV), or any of the recent new builds by HAL will show you what they look like, Oosterdam, Noordamn, Zuiderdam are all Vista class.

Yup. To me, they look like boxy cruise ship. You can call it a "new luxury Ocean Liner", but as the saying goes, lipstick on a pig is still just lipstick on a pig.

And since this ship is launching in Dec 2007, should it not be going to the outfitting yard fairly soon? Or does Fincantieri do it all in one place. The reason why I'm asking is that if I remember the build of the QM2 correctly, it was built in one area, and then moved for outfitting in another.

Why couldn't Cunard have gone to the biggies, Aker, Fincantieri, and asked for designs for a Cunard Class liner. Something uniquely Cunard. I think there would be a lot of customers that would go for a Cunard Class liner, like they did when the old 4 stackers were built. Each liner had it's own style, and passengers traveled on the ships that fit their style.

Remember, the cruisers who use wave riders today, will be in the over 40's pretty darn soon.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Hi Grant, From the information that I was able to get via the internet either Queen Victoria will be another Vista Class clone or she won't be.For example in the May 22,2006 edition of the Seatrade Insider News it is printed "Based on a 85,000gt Vista class hull,the newbuild is 11 mtr longer and tonnage has been increased to 90,000gt and lower berths 2,014." But then the next sentence gives you the idea that the previous sentence is erroneous and here it is "From her hull upwards she is totally different from the HAL vessels both in design and construction,Giovanni Esposito,project manager for Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding at Marghera told Seatrade Insider.The next paragraph also says "At 294 metres Queen Victoria is one metre longer than QE2 and the maximum length permissible to enable transit through the Panama Canal.Her hull and bow have been strengthened for better sea-keeping performance". So does this mean that the Queen Victoria will be a true ocean liner.And the jury is still out concerning the question as to whether or not the Queen Victoria is another Vista Class clone and if she is another Vista Class clone that means she is not a true ocean liner.When Mr.Esposito is quoted as saying "From her hull upwards she is totally different from the HAL vessels both in design and construction" he must be refering to the Holland-America Line Vista Class Ships as being the HAL vessels.Cunard has stated that next January will be when the hull construction will be completed and Queen Victoria will be floated out for the first time and her maiden voyage will be in December,2007. I have visited the Cunard website so many times since last May and Cunard still has not changed the pictures of the Queen Victoria under construction taken last Spring.Today I will call Cunard again and I will try to get more information concerning the construction of the Queen Victoria.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
This evening I did call Cunard and I was told that actual photographs of the Queen Victoria will be released in January and yes Queen Victoria will be an ocean liner according to the woman I spoke to who does take world cruise reservations for Cunard.This website called cruisecritic.com has a news section and in its news of February 16,2006 it did have an article revealing information concerning the Queen Victoria and in this article in one paragraph it is written that "Queen Victoria is, for example,designed as an ocean liner rather than a traditional cruise ship which means she has a different superstructure and a strengthened hull and bow".If this statement is true it remains to be seen and I guess we have to wait until January for the true answer to the question as to will the Queen Victoria be a true ocean liner? Anyway you can read the article from cruisecritic.com here at www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1518

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Jerry

Thanks for the update. One question however, as I'm not sure about. Am I correct in assuming that the new "traditional" cruise ships have a fairly shallow draft. I'm trying to wrap my head around a modified Vista class, which has a shallow draft, being able to be used as a liner on the north atlantic. I still think they should transfer this one to HAL, and design a "Cunard Class" ship.

Any help in unconfusing me?
happy.gif

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Hi Grant, A ship that is a real ocean liner does require a deep draft.Compare the QE2 and QM2 which both have a draft of 32 feet versus the draft of the Vista Class Ships which only have a draft of 26 feet.Even though the difference is only 6 feet,The additional 6 foot draft does ensure that the QE2 and QM2 will sail through potential stormy sea very easily compared to a Vista Class Ship that would struggle to sail through stormy seas.Of course there are other differences between an ocean liner and cruise ship such as a ocean liner would also require a longer bow and thicker steel plating than the bow and steel plating of a cruise ship.On January 6,2008 both the Queen Elizabeth 2 and the Queen Victoria will set sail from Southampton,England and sail next to each other as both ships sail across the Atlantic to New York and both ships will arrive in New York on January 13,2008 where the Queen Mary 2 will be waiting for the other 2 Cunard Queens.And I really hope that Cunard knows that only real ocean liners can do the crossing in January because the North Atlantic weather during the Winter months can potentially get very rough and stormy and I would not want to be aboard a ship that is not a true ocean liner sailing across the North Atlantic during the Winter months.The Queen Elizabeth 2 is a true ocean liner but the jury is still out concerning the question of will the Queen Victoria be a true ocean liner.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Yep, check out this article on the Plimsoll Mark in which the "WNA" (Winter North Atlantic) is the worst of all conditions.
Fincantieri's website shows that she will have a "design draft mld - 7.90m" and "scantling draft - 8.0m" which is the same as the Vista ships. This page on the QV was updated and changed after the old QV switched to the Arcadia, so these measurements must be current to what is being built in Venice right now. Looks like she's pretty much a Vista ship with thick skin.

http://www.deepcreekyachtclub.com/WebPage/PlimsollMark.html

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I have seen the website of the shipbuilder Fincantieri and the information concerning Queen Victoria and the draft is listed at 7.9 meters with a scantling draft of 8 meters which would be erroneous if the Queen Victoria is to be a real ocean liner that would require a draft of 9.8 meters which equals 32 feet.And I guess we will find out the answer to the question as to what kind of ship the Queen Victoria will be in January,ocean liner or cruise ship? In other Cunard news,Captain Paul Wright who was in command of the QE2 and QM2 on some of the Cunard cruises I have taken aboard both ships has been named today as the captain of the Queen Victoria.And in this article Cunard refers the Queen Victoria as an ocean liner.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Here is an article from last Sunday's Miami Herald.It is about new cruise ship construction and the Queen Victoria is mentioned at the beginning of the article.The Queen Victoria is referred to as being built to cross oceans probably meaning that she will be built as an ocean liner.I am not sure if that ocean liner claim is really true but I hope that is the case. Here is the website for the article http://tinyurl.com/y7fb7n