What will remain once the majority of the ship has gone?

ccn87

Dec 19, 2016
Hi all, this is my first post and I've tried to search for answers to this question on here but not found quite what I was after.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is obviously the majority of Titanic will be so significantly decayed at some stage, to the point that it wouldn't be recognisable to how we recognise it from the expeditions, movies and images. I can't get my head around that Titanic will entirely disappear though. I'd imagine that the decks will eventually completely collapse, possibly causing the hull of the bow to splay. Will those destroyed decks disappear before the hull does, or visa versa? Obviously the human element come into play if this happens. The interior of the ship may become more accessible- more artefacts may be found preserved within the ship (although I'm very much against anything being taken from the wreck).

Although it's been down there for 104 years it does look in good condition considering, however extensive deterioration has been witnessed since 1985. I guess it'll be a sombre occasion when an expedition goes down expecting to see that famous bow, but instead find it collapsed. I don't know if I should take the "on the verge of collapse" reports with a pinch of salt. I take it the 2010 expedition provided the latest images?

To condense the above- I'm not asking when we think the wreck will eventually collapse, more so if humans were not to interfere with the site, what may be left of Titanic in say 100, or 200 years? Thanks.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Think of the Titanic kind of like a big house of cards made out of corn chips. And soaked in water. The bacteria are eating the Iron turning it into a powder or putty. Over time, the chips will bend and crumble. This will start mostly with the exterior layers, and work its way inward. The final result will be a large lumpy muddy smear of rust on the ocean floor. We may be able to peer further into the wreck as it decays, but most likely anything of interest will be buried by the collapsing decks above.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The condition of the wreck in 200 or 300 years time will presumably be similar to that of old wooden ships after centuries beneath the sea - no surviving superstructure, but an assortment of scattered objects such as brass guns and other non wooden or non-ferrous items (?).